Sore hocks on front paws?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebugger

Reaction score
One of our mini rex bunnies had a bloody front paw about two weeks ago. We couldn't really tell where it was coming from, so we took him to our rabbit savvy vet. She said it appeared he had cut himself on something in the cage. We checked his cage and found one little place that he might have scratched his paw on, and we filed it down to where it was smooth. He was already on Baytril for a chronic health problem he has (he gets two weeks on, two weeks off, and then two weeks on a different antibiotic), so she suggested we extend it another week to prevent an infection from setting in. He seemed to be healing, but this week I noticed about every other day, a few spots of what looked like brown blood that you might see from a scabbed over wound. Today we found some blood spots, so we took him out to give him a good inspection. The one pad is swollen, and scabbed over, but looks like it's healing, but now he has about two or three other pads that are starting to swell and that are cracked and have been bleeding a little bit. I called our vet and she said that she can't think what could be causing it but did give us some Silver Sulfadiazine cream and told us to mix with a little organic coconut oil and try that, but she also mentioned that we could start his next round of antibiotics early if we felt that he might be starting an infection. I'm conflicted because I want to stick to the regular course of antibiotics for his health condition because it's working, but I'm worried that there's more to this. I have to try to wait until Monday when our rabbit savvy vet is back in the office (she is unavailable due to the Thanksgiving holiday) and can examine him. He also gets metacam for his chronic health condition, so it will help with the pain, but I notice that he's kind of bothered by the foot, and I can't figure out if it's the cream/coconut oil that is bothering him (he taps the foot on the ground, and he definitely doesn't like anyone touching it), or if he's in pain and that meds aren't helping or what. From looking at the pads on the front paws, it just looks like sore hocks do except on the front. His cage floor is plastic and is covered in several thick layers of newspaper. He has a litter box full of timothy hay. Our vet mentioned two things - cage floor could be keeping it from healing, and that it's possibly too dry in our house and that we need to add more moisture to the air because maybe his skin is too dry that it's cracking? I also asked her about the fact that we haven't cut his nails in a little while, and wondered if the back were too long and that he could be putting too much weight on the front? I don't know. The newspaper on his cage floor comes from our local newspaper office, but they store the newspapers in an old garage with a dirt floor......if the papers got damp at one time, but have been dry for at least three months, could that cause this? I can try to switch out his floor, but I don't know what I would use.

Any ideas what could be causing this and what we can do to treat it? What about manuka honey? Would that work better?

Rabbit's don't have pads on their paws, so if you're seeing bare skin then it's possible that his feet are sore from flooring surfaces. The other option if it is spreading is I believe a fungal infection which can cause fur loss. Rabbit feet should be fully furred.

Have you tried adding some folded fleece blankets as a soft resting place for him?

Latest posts

Back