Lost 1 pound in two weeks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margarita

Reaction score
Hello. my bunny has had very small poop starting on sat followed by mushy poops for two days and off her food. She isn't eating her hay or pellets which is odd for her but she will eat parsley. I brought her to the vet today and he said she has lost 1 pound since he's seen her two weeks ago (for nail clipping). He did X-rays and blood work said he didn't see any masses but her liver had some cloudy spots. She was very dehydrated and he gave her fluids and now I am giving her critical care hoping she gains weight and her appetite back. We are waiting on blood work but I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences? Possible diagnosis?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you :in tears::in tears::in tears:

Hello. my bunny has had very small poop starting on sat followed by mushy poops for two days and off her food. She isn't eating her hay or pellets which is odd for her but she will eat parsley. I brought her to the vet today and he said she has lost 1 pound since he's seen her two weeks ago (for nail clipping). He did X-rays and blood work said he didn't see any masses but her liver had some cloudy spots. She was very dehydrated and he gave her fluids and now I am giving her critical care hoping she gains weight and her appetite back. We are waiting on blood work but I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences? Possible diagnosis?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you :in tears::in tears::in tears:
--bunz eco-systems-in the gi-tract,--very sensitive,,--,something is out of balance with the flora--ccoccidious/colidistrom??-is suspect,,dehydration will occur--sub-q-fluids recommended,the-vet missed the target,--lots of h2o and grasses,-zero treats---antibiotics(baytril)-require giving of probiotics and/or-premade mixture of exotic mixture of grasses --purchase from a farm supply store,,may have to hand feed and weigh-kg -digital-scale--at regular daily intervals--before and after feedings,--please keep us informed as time allows,--sincerely james waller

Sounds like GI stasis.
The vet has you on the right track. Some vets give meds that help with digestion to get things moving, some give appetite stimulants. With giving the critical care it can take up to 24 hours of making them eat before the bun wants to eat on their own. You can try giving very wet veggies, whatever is their favorite just to get them to get their gut moving. Macy went through this and per my vet I gave her critical care and finally she started eating on her own- only lettuce at first but then she slowly started back on her hay...
Keep in touch with your vet and don't hesitate to call them with any questions or concerns
Good luck! Hope everything gets better.

Did the vet do a thorough dental exam and any xrays of the head? Dental problems are a common cause of selective eating (especially hard foods like hay and pellets) and sudden weight loss in rabbits.

Were you given pain medication to give to your rabbit at home?

It's not Gi stasis she came back fine with the X-rays and she's eating only parsley which she wouldn't touch if she had stasis. He did a dental exam and she was fine. Waiting to get bloodwork back to see if it's some kind of infection. She is grinding her teeth so she is in some pain but is also active. I know when she has gas or stasis she doesn't move and doesn't touch any food. I just can't put my finger on it. I'm praying she gets better I love her so much it would kill me to put her down.

Oh and she is now pooping pretty normal size now so that's another reason we know it's not stasis.

I got the bloodwork back. Her liver levels are off and she's anemic. He gave me three meds twice a day plus critical care. Well retest her in two weeks and see if her levels normalize. I hope this works and she's not inconstant pain. This has been an emotional roller coaster.

Back