Rabbit eating Linoleum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buns4Life_Cinder

Reaction score
Hey guys. Haven't been on in a while. Some of you may reginize me from my other account with Cinder. But anyways to the question. Is linoleum safe for rabbits to digest because Cinder had taken in quite a bit out of her floor?

No. It is not safe and could cause a gut blockage. Be sure she is eating plenty of hay to help her pass it.

In the meantime, replace the linoleum or block access to the edges. If she can't get to the edges, then she won't be able to nibble on it.

Well I can't really block the edges and linoleum is the only thing that fits for the cage

There is an option. You have to replace the linoleum, though, so that it goes up to the edge opening again like it used to (before bunny chewed it). Then you need to use something like a u-channel to clamp over the edge of the lino and the grid. This type of channel also comes in metal and in different sizes and widths.
Here is a link to give you an idea of what I mean:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...nate-Multi-Wall-U-Channel-PCTWU-6MM/205202529

I used carpet on my cube cage upper levels. But my rabbits were not carpet chewers.

Another option would be to use a thin piece of wood as a base upon which you glue down the lino. But you still may need to cover those edges.

Yet another option would be to secure an untreated 1x1 or 1x2 on top of those lino edges to prevent access. These could be secured by drilling holes (thru wood and lino) and using zip ties to hold in place.

^I'm with Blue Eyes, a hard plastic channel or capping is what I used around the edges of Bandit's cage where he would be able to pull up the lino. He hasn't bothered with the plastic channel, but I know he would have pulled up the lino.

Our rabbit savvy vet recently told us about a rabbit who had to be put to sleep after ingesting linoleum. We had a Flemmie who hated walking on linoleum and we were using it for his cage floor. He was kind enough to just chew holes and leave the linoleum leaving in a nice pile in the hole. However, we became concerned he might try to eat it, so we replaced the floor with plywood covered in stick on tiles. We had him in a North States Play Yard as a cage, and we just made the floor larger than the cage, so that he couldn't get to any of the edges of either the tiles or plywood. As long as they didn't get too wet (which would just cause them to come loose), he did fine with it. Definitely consider changing the flooring for the bunny's safety.

Thxs doodlebugger! I have some vynle toes but in afraid that she may eat them too! My cats going into the vet Monday so I'll ask him what to do thxs!!

Latest posts

Back