Behaviour help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescuemom

Reaction score
As some know, I recently acquired a rabbit(appears to be Lionhead mix) that was dumped outside to fend for herself. Fairly sure she's a young female. That said, I don't know if she's spayed, so a vet check is definitely in the books.

Beyond that, I'd like some help. She will greet you with a sniff of your hand and will even take treats from your hands, but if you try to pet her or pick her up, she freaks out and tries to get away as quick as possible. She is quite wary of people, actually. I've only had her thump at me once and charge at me once, and she hasn't done it since then. I had to put her in a regular cage for now as she figured out how to escape my x-pen and was going after my other rabbit. So, my old man is in the x-pen and she's in a cage with free time out of it for the time being. She does try to bite him through the cage bars though..

Any tips for taming her and showing her she can trust me? I have a lot to think about in terms of whether or not I have the time or patience to really put into her(this makes me sound awful, but I have a family and a full house of animals as is, and I took her off the street largely because I didn't want to see her die or get hurt).

I have decided NOT to bond my two rabbits. Crush is simply very old and not doing well any more.

Anyway.. thoughts? Tips?

I think a vet visit might help you make your decision. Maybe something is going on with her, or maybe, if she isn't spayed, her hormones are making her territorial and aggressive. With time she will probably let you pet her, but don't expect her to ever like being picked up. My Cali was also a stray, most of the time she weasels away when we try and pet her, but sometimes in the right mood she will enjoy it. Good luck and just give her time.

I've had Pippi for nearly a year, and she barely tolerates being picked up. She digs at my shoulder as soon as I get her in a safe grip, and tries to wiggle away. Some rabbits just don't like being held.. She'll let me pet her if she's in her cage, but when she's playing, all bets are off, and she doesn't let anyone touch her. So it sounds like she might be related to my Pippi.. cute as a button, but please don't touch!

This sounds awful... but this has happened twice now... The new rabbit figured out how to escape the x-pen to go attack my other rabbit. So I put her in a regular pet store cage. She then figured out how to escape that and I just found her, once again, attacking my senior rabbit. I'm finding her a new, safe home where there are no other pets, and someone has the time to work on her with people. This is so unfair to my senior. I'm in the process of contacting rescues.

Best of luck with finding a rescue for her. It's not your fault and I completely understand your situation. Just because you saved an animal from the street, does not mean you're obligated to adopt it, especially if she's attacking your other rabbit, which is just awful that she's going to every length to do so. Wishing you all the best. Hope Crush is ok.

Latest posts

Back