Just adopted a bunny, black scabs on nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebunnyhops

Reaction score
I just adopted a 9 month holland lop yesterday. He has multiple black scabs on his nose. They used to cover more of his nose, but the vet that did his neuter picked some of the scabs off. His nose looks raw and he is sneezing as well.

After doing some online searches, mites, syphillis, myxi, etc. all seem to be possibilities. I am also concerned about my two other rabbits- they are older and don't have strong immune systems.

I will definitely take this little guy to the vet, but there aren't many rabbit saavy vets in the area. I'd appreciate some suggestions to that I can go to the vet armed with information. Thanks.

IMG_5118.jpg

Where are you located? Some countries aren't likely to have myxo, so that might be able to be ruled out.

Did he previously live with siblings or other rabbits that might have bitten his nose?

Where are you located? Some countries aren't likely to have myxo, so that might be able to be ruled out.

Did he previously live with siblings or other rabbits that might have bitten his nose?

I'm the US. As far as I know, this rabbit has never lived with other rabbits or any other animals. I'm hoping it's just trauma that's healing, and not viral/bacterial. However, I'm not quite sure how a rabbit would injure its nose like this.

For anyone that comes across this post in the future, it was presumed to be syphillis and cleared right up with pen g .

Did you go thru a 4-week period of PenG injections? A mini rex bun we took in from an unsanitary enviroment, living on the bottom stack of cages with feces and urine falling into his area, also was diagnosed with syphillis. Swabbing from his rectal area confirmed. We kept him isolated. His penis and genital area looked "angry" or severely reddened compared to our other rescues/sanctuary buns. We took him to our DVM for weekly injections of PenG for 4 to 6 weeks prior to his neuter.

Back