How to fix this

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkaysamantha

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a new bunny owner so I am trying to understand some things. If you guys can help me, I am trying to litter box train. He is so good about going in the litter box when I get home from work, all through the night. He's even great going back into playpen to go to the bathroom when I let him out while I am home. When I get home from work, I find that he has pooped in his bed and all over the place. I have him in a play pen with food and water, litter box with hay, toys and a box. Can someone help me with this and explain this kind of behavior? What can I change?

Thank you
Kayla

Technically a rabbit is considered litter box trained if it pees in the litter box. Pooping in there is an entirely different matter as rabbits use their poop to mark their territory. Though some rabbits are better about keeping it in the litter box than others and don't feel as strong a need to mark. Really just depends on the individual rabbit. Neutering/spaying can also help improve this behavior and make them less inclined to want to mark their territory.

However, with your rabbit, if he is only doing it while you are gone, it is possible it's due to him being left home alone. It could be due to insecurity and anxiety at you being gone, or it could just be he feels more free to do what he wants since you are gone. If it's an insecurity issue, you could try maybe leaving on a radio or something so the house isn't so quite. Also leaving an old shirt in with him might help as well, and maybe a stuffie friend to help keep him company, one with just stuffing and no beans and as long as he doesn't try to chew and destroy it.

Latest posts

Back