My little Houdini Rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyB

Reaction score
I'm convinced Benny is the reincarnation of Harry Houdini because that rabbit has somehow gotten out of his pen twice now. The pen is my walk in closet, with a four and a hlaf foot high baby gate blocking the doorway. I was sitting watching TV and my boyfriend was like, "Hi Benny"." I turned to see him hopping back down the hall to my bedroom and it took me ten minutes to catch my little escape artist.

How do I fix this? I have utterly NO idea how he got out, because he can't open the gate and he can't jump that high. He didn't do anything, he just wanted to come out to visit everyone, I think.

Well, I mean, I know he can't jump that high, he's got a screwy back leg, but he can climb? Great.

He's either squeezing through something, jumping up on something, or climbing over. Check for any possible gaps on the sides or under that he might be able to slip through. Check for any boxes or furniture he could be jumping up on. If your gate doesn't just have vertical bars, but has horizontal or diagonal cross pieces then it's possible for some rabbits to climb those. If this is the case, you can attach a strip of cardboard or posterboard part way up the gate to make a surface that he won't be able to climb past. You want it high up enough that he can't jump past it(if he can jump), but low enough that he won't fall back down too far and injure himself when he climbs up and can't get past it.

I had a rabbit that could escape her pen. She would jump half way up on to the 3 ft. pen fencing, then climb the rest of the way up and over. So they definitely can do it. But if your bun has a bad leg and can't jump or climb, he's likely slipping through somewhere.

Back