Allowing Bunnies to Breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyB

Reaction score
So I have a 4 month old male and I'm adopting his 4 month old friend I'm going to call Little Girl. They've been together since they were itty bitty. He is a Lop, not sure what kind, he's already about 6 or 7 pounds, and she is a little Lionhead. Neither are fixed. If I allow them to have babies, I already have ten friends and family who are willing to take the babies. Question is, should I allow them to breed? If I do, will giving birth harm Little Girl, with her being so much smaller than Thumper. She's about 2 times smaller than him.

No you shouldnt.
You should have those 10 friends go to the shelter and adopt a rabbit.
There are far too many pet rabbits looking for homes, you dont need to add more.
And you have no clue what the genetic history of these 2 rabbits is.
Their not even the same breed.
If youre not going to breed to better a particular breed, after ages of research and picking out genetically healthy stock you shouldnt even think about breeding.
Shelters are all ready brimming full with rabbits. Thousands of feral rabbits who dont fit at shelters are all ready running loose everywhere. And to breed more into that for nothing but wrong reasons is extremely inappropriate.
Please get these 2 rabbits spayed and neutered before even letting them in the same room as each other!

Eh...I'm not going to touch what you should tell your friends because I don't know them. But in regards to the breeding: Nah...I wouldn't do it. As others have correctly stated, it's one thing to breed to improve the health and well-being of a particular breed. To breed at random is another thing entirely that usually ends with negative results.
We got 2 of our guys from reputable breeders (had them neutered) and they're the best. Since yours are two different breeds, and you don't know the genetic health of them it sounds like an unnecessary risk just to have some babies to give to friends.

I promise you would not regret getting both of your buns fixed/spayed when you can. The transformation in my guys is absolutely amazing. (less territorial, more friendly, and the spraying is rare.) Best regards. ;)

Okay, hopefully Little Girl isn't already pregnant. They were together before I got them.

Latest posts

Back