6yr old neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjib

Reaction score
Is it worth it to get him neutered?
He's anywhere from 5-6 years old, mini lop/lion head, never been sick in his life, and i have a rabbit savy vet who works as the humane society (so she does neuterings often)

Is it worth getting him neutered at this old age?

Is he having any issues not being neutered? (spraying humping, etc)

My little 2 lb bunny rocky went through his first dental procedure at 6 yrs old with a bunny savvy vet and came out of it eating and drinking with no harm done.

It depends on if it's absolutely needed or not. For rocky it was which is why we went through it. I don't know if I'd do the same with an elective surgery such as neutering.

If you don't have any plans on bonding him and he doesn't have any hormonal behaviors that are driving you crazy, I wouldn't. Though it can be a safe surgery if you have a very experienced vet doing it, there is always some risk with surgery, along with possible unwanted behavior changes especially with neutered bucks. They can sometimes not be as happy or friendly as they used to be with the hormones. At least this has been my experience with my neutered male rabbits.

Latest posts

Back