Bonding Help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescuemom

Reaction score
I've had a bunny I found for about a week. I let her settle in her home, sharing a cage wall with my other rabbit. The new rabbit was found outside, clearly abandoned. Female. Young, maybe a year old and a lionhead mix. My male is a Holland Lop I've had for about four years, super laid back like most Holland Lops, friendly and relaxed with every pet and person, and has even met other rabbits without any issues (I was beginning the bonding process between him and another rabbit once before but she wasn't a good fit).

I recently grabbed some delicious rabbit vegetables and strawberry tops and decided to try a short intro between the two rabbits in a neutral zone. At first, the Lionhead explored and just kept looking at Crush(my Lop), even munched some food. She slowly approached him, then suddenly lunged and tried to bite his side. No damage done, I managed to separate them.

Can I get some tips? She seemed so stressed out by the ordeal even though Crush literally did nothing. She even began thumping in her own cage after and when I went to give her fresh food and water, bluffed going after me. Is this maybe a bad idea or should I take things a lot slower? Is it possible she was bullied by the local jackrabbits and had to protect herself and therefore, views Crush as a threat? Should I foster her and try to find him another buddy instead?

I'm willing to take any time that is necessary, and to go slower from now on. Maybe spend more time with her one on one too.. But I'd love opinions and ideas.

You might be going to fast for them, bunny bonding is not a quick process 9/10 times.
A few things though, if she is new she would only just be settling into your home so putting her in with another rabbit so soon can really shake them up.
If she isn't desexed that could be another problem(i am gathering your other bunny is desexed) even if the other rabbit is desexed you will likely have problems with her related to raging hormones. I would give it at least a month before introducing them after she is desexed as well as you don't want them hurting eachother.

Agree. You need to give them both more time for settling in and getting used to each others presence and scent around. Presuming he is neutered, it would also be best to wait on bonding til you get her spayed and give her 2-4 weeks for the hormones to settle. But even then there is no guarantee that they will bond in the end. If you still plan on trying, it would be good to read up on bonding if you haven't already.

Latest posts

Back