Sprayed Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsai

Heidi's Mom
Reaction score
I am looking at alternate hay suppliers since I need a new bale and one is advertised as "sprayed". I looked this up and I understand that it is a chemical that's sprayed on hay to promote the hay drying out. Should I avoid this hay? In my area, it seems to be a popular choice and I'm really uncertain about it. I'm not sure if the hay I was getting was sprayed or not (The people here don't really understand the caution about these things, they think I'm insane for even feeding hay to a rabbit - you wouldn't believe the looks I've gotten for that!) but it was nice and green in color, as green as orchard grass gets.

So is spraying something that's done to ALL hay or is it something I should avoid? I have been seeking exclusively horse quality so it isn't cattle hay.

Thank you in advance!

Ok this is coming from a lifetime of cattle ranching, hay buying and small time hay producing. My hay knowledge is based on CA, NV and some OR hay growing. So my knowledge may be of no help for your area.
I can tell you for a fact, no all hay isn't sprayed. Some are sprayed with pesticides, some for "color/drying". I wish I could explain the need for spraying for "drying/color" but I don't understand the need at all. Maybe I'll have to ask some of my hay grower friends so I know. :)
Personally all our animals are fed hay dried naturally. If we purchase hay we ask if it's from fields sprayed with pesticides or GMO seed. We try for as natural as possible for all our animals. Pets and livestock.
To dry hay: All that is done is the hay is "raked" at least once after the initial rake to combine the rows. Usually twice. More if the rows end up getting sprinkled/rained on. A few warm days and it's ready to bale.
Not sure if I've helped or not. It depends on how natural your trying to be with your fur baby. There should be a decent variety around you to choose from. Maybe not at a local feed store?

Latest posts

Back