Rescue vs breeder, male vs female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_08

Reaction score
We've decided to get a new rabbit after Benny sadly passed away last week.

My questions are:

Is there really any difference between spayed/neutered male and females? Some people have told me to go for a male as they are more likely to be friendly...

I got Benny from a very reputable breeder and am tempted to do the same thing again however I have been to our local rescue centre today and not sure whether to go down the rescue route...?

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks

My vote is for a rescue rabbit. Give a bunny in need a loving home! Also, at the shelter they are already spayed/neutered. This saves you money and any possible anxiety you may have about spaying/neutering after what happened to poor Benny. Another bonus, if you were ever planning to have two bonded rabbits, you can see how they get along in the shelter now. Then when you bring them home, it will be neutral territory for both because neither has ever been there! Which can make bonding so much easier. My two are both rescues and even though they are driving me nuts this morning, I wouldn't trade them for anything :) good luck!

I have limited experience with bunnies, but I vote for male rabbit from a rescue. I have 3 bunnies that I have had for 2 years, 2 boys and a girl. My girl rabbit is very territorial and has bitten me a few times when I didn't respect her space. This is the only reason I recommend a boy. They are not so territorial. We love our girl Pepper though, so if you find a girl rabbit that you connect with, I'd say just go for it. I think it's great whenever a shelter rabbit can be adopted, so I always say to go there first.

I would definitely go with a rescue! And I believe gender is much less important than the rabbit itself. I have four rabbits- two males and two females. One female is the friendliest of the bunch, very outgoing. One of the males is pretty much the same way. Then I have a slightly more shy female and male.
Every rabbit has a different personality and that's the great part of rescue is you can meet them and find the best fit! :)

I'm a breeder myself and I'd say go for a rescue especially if it's going to be a pet. You can save money because they will already be Spayed/neutered and if it's an adult rabbit you can sometimes have a better idea how the personality is.

As far as male or female it really depends ds on the rabbit. I usually go for boys when buying from breeders because it's easier to neuter them if I decide to. The neutered French lop I had was one of the sweetest rabbits ever. Females can be sweet too just tend to be more independent

Last edited:
Back