New Bunny Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graceofangels

Reaction score
Hi all: I just got a new bunny. My cousin bought one for her kids a couple of years a go and the kids have just gotten tired of it. As they have a new baby, a full grown dog, and a new puppy, she was looking to get rid of the bunny. I told her I would take it rather than have her drop it off at a shelter.

1. He's used to very limited timothy hay, gerbil pellets because she says he won't eat rabbit pellets, almost no greens or veggies, and kitty litter. I'm trying a new litter and gave him hay asap. When should I start changing his pellets and adding greens? I know I can't just introduce regular rabbit diet and living conditions right away. I want to do this gradually as not to shock him.

2. He lives in a pretty small cage and always has. Even at her house, if you walk over near his cage, he periscopes to stick his head up for attention and pets. When should I begin expanding his living space? I know coming to a new home after a 2 hour drive can be quite shocking to a bun. Will give him a large living condition too soon also make him uncomfortable?

The Gerbil pellets were probably Alfalfa based, that would be why he won't eat regular Timothy based pellets. Only give about a 1/4 cup a day, I give mine very few and not every day.
I am guessing he is not fixed so you should look at getting that done or he will tend to spray everything.
He will need time to run in the house, they need exercise.
Start giving him a leaf of lettuce twice a day, they need limited veggies.

Just gradually start to switch the pellets now. Reduce the gerbil feed a bit and add a bit of plain rabbit pellets in. Then gradually increase the amount of rabbit pellets each day while you decrease the amount of gerbil food, watching to make sure he is eating the rabbit food.. Do this over a 2-4 week period. If he will eat the timothy hay, try and get him eating more hay by gradually reducing total pellet amounts til you get to the recommended amount for his size. You just need to make sure he does eat the hay when pellets are reduced so he's just not starving himself. The important thing is to make sure he is eating enough through the food changes, has normal poop, and is staying at a healthy weight.

I would wait on veggies or any other food changes until you get him switched over to regular rabbit food and hay. Then you can gradually start introducing safe veggies one at a time, starting with small amounts.

Don't know what litter you are using now, but definitely don't use cat litter, especially clumping ones, unless it is the rabbit safe paper or wood pellets.

I would give him a few days to see how he adjusts to a new home. If he seems fine and is not nervous, it shouldn't be a problem changing his living space. Maybe still give him access to his old cage for a little while longer until he is settled in and fine with his new area. You also want to see how he does with his litter box before you expand his space too much at once. If he seems timid or nervous, you may need to take things more slowly and make changes more gradually.

Thanks guys, i started giving him hay immediately and he loves it. I don't believe he is neutered but does not seem to spray yet. As for time outside his cage, i tried putting out a sheet with some toys on it for him, a hide-a-way. He just immediately hops back into his cage so he's certainly not ready for a new space. I could put him across the room and he scampers back no matter what. I did give him a loofa, which he seems to enjoy, a wood chew and plastic ball. He seems to like all three, but really loves the loofa. As for the cat litter, it's Yesterday's news. Apparently recycled paper in pellet form. Is this okay?

Latest posts

Back