New rabbit - won't eat fresh greens or fruit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRabbits

Reaction score
I recently adopted a little Netherland dwarf, neutered male. He seems in good health and bonded nicely with my black bunny, Princess Zelda. He eats pellets and hay with no problems, but he flatly refuses any greens. I've tried everything from romaine, to collards, to endive, to yu choy. He just turns away. I've also tried offering apple chunks, blueberries and strawberries - still no interest.

Does anyone know any tricks I can try to get him to eat fresh greens? Or should I just keep offering them and eventually he'll come around?

stop offering them. he's new to you. you might upset his gut flora. He may never have been offered them.

IF you want to start him on fresh greens ... what has worked for me in my rabbitry with new buns is plunking them down on fresh clipped grass. Put them in a secure cage and just let them explore. Make sure it's just an ordinary grass. clean... right after a rain is perfect timing. :)

BUT don't do this for the first bit. Let them get used to your place and the regular pellets and hay first.

Yea, I'd back off for now. Have you tried a slice of carrot? It's not a major issue if he won't eat them, especially if he's at a good weight on a pellet/hay diet.

If he's bonded with your girl and you're offering them both greens I suspect he'll figure it out eventually. Whenever I offer something new my Cricket has to eat it twice before Watson will risk putting it in his mouth. I think he uses her to make sure things aren't poisonous ;)

I agree give the little guy time. My luna was the same when we got. her mate when we got him he ate anything fresh. She realised what he was eating and started trying fresh too. Fresh coriander is a favourite of my hooligans.

Latest posts

Back