Loose domestic bunny..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescuemom

Reaction score
It's starting to cool down outside. While walking my dog the other day, I spotted a bunny. Young, under a year old likely, white with black spots, appears to be a lionhead mix. I put ads up. Someone likely released him. He's friendly enough for me to get close, but not touch him. I'm thinking about going out and trying to catch him with some fresh smelly herbs or something. I got close enough that I almost had him the other day, but he slipped my grasp and took off under a neighbours fence. I'm afraid he won't survive long out here. He's DEFINITELY domestic... Any tips to help get him out of the cold? :(

Where is he? I know there are a few areas that have a decent population of dumped rabbits.
Keep trying with food and see if you can get him to trust you more. This way will probably take more time. Do have a carrier or at least a blanket to wrap him in if you do catch him.
Using x-pens is usually the easiest way the get them. You can block off escape routes and enclose an area to make it easier to catch him. A few connected end to end are more effective. Having help is helpful too, so get a couple people if possible.

Fairly sure it's female. I caught her. Definitely domestic. Looked like black patches in the dark. Bit of banana was the perfect lure. She's now safely in my office with space to calm down and be safe. I live in Royal Oak, so far nw. Lots of coyotes and other dangers. She definitely seems dumped as I can't find any info on her being lost and she's quite friendly now.

DSC_0373.jpg

Most people buy their children a bunny for Easter and then let it go. Unfortunately I see this bad behavior far too often and I live in a 40K population city! Normal wild rabbits here are Eastern Cottontail and they won't even recognize the domestic European rabbits as rabbits. So they are alienated by the wild rabbits and thrust into a world of predators and dangers.

Just this Summer I have counted at least 3 loose domestic rabbits in my ward that probably won't survive long out in the wild. I too am glad to hear you managed to take the bunny in and share your home. Bless you!

About the only other option here in my city is the live traps that animal control loans out to the public for a $10 deposit. However unless you can supply a good home, these rabbits end up lost in the system. I really wish people didn't treat these animals like goldfish.

She's doing very well! Nobody has claimed her, she was likely dumped. But she's settled in well and she even comes running to me to see if I have treats for her. Still skittish about being handled, but will come greet me and let me give her a short pet. :)

Ahh, did you post an ad on Kijiji? I saw someone on there talking about a caught rabbit, glad you got her! Much better then out there running loose!

Latest posts

Back