Trouble bonding my rabbits, need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamsterdance

Reaction score
Hello!
Recently my brother had to rehome his two rabbits- a bonded, fixed, male/female(Chloe and Oscar). I took them in and have been housing them separately from my bonded, fixed, male/female pair(Macy and Leo).
I've been doing bunny dates between the group of them, sometimes one on one, sometimes a group of three, sometimes all four. Oscar gets along with everyone always. Macy gets along with everyone, except for when Chloe bites her, then sometimes she will bite back but usually she just ignores it and then Chloe will stop and begin grooming her. Leo gets along with everyone other than Chloe, because she bites him and that leads to them fighting. And Chloe... Well she's a bit interesting. Chloe is always good to her bonded male, Oscar. However, with Macy she is usually pretty nice and grooms her but then occasionally out of no where will nip at her or attack her. With Leo, Chloe grooms him sometimes as well but attacks him or bites him quite a bit.
When fights break out I use gloves to pull them apart. I've tried stress bonding by taking them for car rides and Chloe is always nice until after she calms down and then gets nippy again. Bonding is always in neutral places.
I really want to make this work, and I was getting very stressed out so I've taken about a two week break from the bonding process and now I'm trying to regroup and come at this with new strategies.
Before taking Chloe and Oscar in I knew a bond may not be possible, and I'm okay with two separate pairs if that's how things play out. But I really do want them all bonded if possible. I'm willing to keep trying for a long period of time if needed.

I'm wondering if any of you have had any similar issues and what you had to do to get them to bond? If you have any suggestions that would be great too.
Macy, Leo and Oscar all get along well. Chloe keeps biting/attacking Macy and Leo. I've noticed she is always the one who starts things. Is there a way for me to make her feel more comfortable or to trust them and be nicer to them? She's not so bad with Macy but is really sassy to Leo.

Pleaseeeeeee help me if you have any ideas! I know it's really long but I'm out of ideas :p thanks! :)

I'm afraid I don't have much advice to give as all I know about bonding is what I've read from others. I know there are members on here who've bonded two pairs of rabbits, but it's not always easy or possible.

Thank you for your response- since posting I've been putting extra time daily and effort into it and things seem to have improved quite a bit! I focused on stress bonding Chloe to Macy and Leo individually and then tried some regular bonding and her aggression has almost completely gone away! :)

Latest posts

Back