2 Unaltered Males

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Reaction score
I'm currently caring for 2 young unaltered male bunnies. They get along well and never fight, will share a litter box, food, nest box etc., but the bigger of the two (Newton) has started in the last couple days marking their X-Pen with his chin and I've been wondering when the time to separate them for neutering would be. Their ages are unknown as they both were accidental.

IMG_20150902_195608356.jpg

IMG_20150902_165259218.jpg

IMG_20150902_165842028.jpg

IMG_20150902_204819013.jpg

Do you have weights on them? I know with cats my vets would neuter them once they hit 2lbs.

Have their testicles dropped yet?

A vet should be able to give you a rough estimate of age. You could bring them in for a pre-neuter check, so to speak. Then you could also find out when the vet is comfortable doing the surgery (how soon).

They can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop.... which for most boys is pretty early... like 8 weeks early.
Boys can also suck them back up and hold them inside and trick you into thinking they havent dropped.

If youre not willing to get them neutered they should be seperated now before any fights occur.

In our experience most males become sexually mature around 3 months, but it sounds like one of your males may be starting to mature. We have 2 brothers we still have together and they're 3 months old. So far, they get along fine.

If you don't want to separate them just yet you need to watch them for any signs of dominance or aggression and separate as soon as it starts.

I do plan on getting them neutered, first of all.

The reason their ages are indiscernible is because Newton wandered into my house by himself and the unnamed little one was carried in by a dog. They were both very young when we took them in though.

Latest posts

Back