Daily diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buns get unlimited oaten hay (I fill it up every morning and night)

They get 1 cup of pellets (unless they need more or less)

They get a 50/50 oaten chaff and lucerne chaff mix in the morning

They get a salad every second night which has stuff like carrots and parsley

They also get fresh grass everyday in the afternoon

And of course Fresh water everyday :)

Ps. My pellets are 3 types of pellets mixed in with weetbix and this other thing a breeder gave me :)

I follow the recommendations of the House Rabbit Society...
http://rabbit.org/natural-nutrition-part-ii-pellets-and-veggies-2/

They get 1/4 of plain pellets daily. [They get this just before bedtime]
Unlimited grass hay (usually timothy or Bermuda) - I refresh it twice daily at least
2+ cups of fresh greens daily (usually basil, romaine, red-leaf, green-leaf lettuce, mint, cilantro, celery, occas. parsley, mustard greens)
The greens they get during our dinnertime, while I'm in the kitchen anyway.

That above is daily. They also get treats occasionally. But, as recommended, they just get a little -- no more than a 1" slice of carrot or of banana, a teaspoon of raisins or craisins.

I also steer very clear of the foods listed at the following from:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

NEVER feed your rabbit commercial "gourmet" or "treat" mixes filled with dried fruit, nuts and seeds. These may be safe for a bird or hamster--BUT THEY ARE NOT PROPER FOOD FOR A RABBIT. The sole function of "rabbit gourmet treats" is to lighten your wallet. If the manufacturers of "gourmet rabbit treats" truly cared about your rabbit's health and longevity, they would not market such products.

Don't feed your rabbit cookies, crackers, nuts, seeds, breakfast cereals (including oatmeal) or "high fiber" cereals. They may be high fiber for you, but not for your herbivorous rabbit, who's far better able to completely digest celluose ("dietary fiber") than you are. Fed to a rabbit, the high fat and simple carbohydrate content of "naughty foods" may contribute to fatty liver disease, cecal dysbiosis, obesity, and otherwise cause health problems.

My buns usually get the same stuff, but I will alter it slightly for each bun :)

In the morning:
- Fresh oaten hay
- Water top up/ change if needed

During the day:
- Bunnies in playpens have access to grass, water and sometimes hay.

At night:
- Stuff the hay rack and toys with hay
- 1/4 pellets and chaff mix for majority of the buns
- 1 cup pellets and chaff mix for young buns and lactating does
- A handful of fresh grass from my yard and a little bit of veggies
- Water bowl/ bottle is cleaned and they all get fresh water

Occasionally:
- Treats
- Fruit

Providing grass or grass hay to pet rabbits is critical to maintain health. Eating grass/grass hay provides for long periods of chewing which is necessary to wear down their continuously erupting and growing teeth thereby helping to prevent dental disease (which is a common health problem in pet rabbits). Rabbits are also intelligent animals and chewing on grass or grass hay helps to keep them occupied and prevent boredom.

That's why I feed my rabbit with lots of grass or grass hay with her diet

----------------
[URL]http://www.addiumsupplement.info/

[/URL]

Latest posts

Back