Can you keep baby buns and adult rabbits in one room?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chii

Reaction score
Hi,

There are 6 orphaned baby rabbits at the local shelter. They are about 9-12 days old. This is a cat&dog shelter and they don't know how to care about bunnies, there are no rabbit rescuers in a country.
Me and my husband could probably volunteer to take them home and feed/care for them until they can be on their own and will be ready for adoption.

The question is, we currently have two buns at home: 1y 7m old mini lop male and a lionhead female (age unknown). Both are neutered. They are not bonded yet, as we adopted the girl from the same shelter only about 4 days ago. Girl was cage protective and stressed at first, now she’s much more calm, even cuddles, but is building a nest and marking territory. Boy started marking territory, too, since we brought home the girl.

Can we bring home 6 baby rabbits in this case? Adult bunnies currently live in separate enclosures, baby rabbits live in cat transporting cage. We have a studio-type (one room for all) apartment, so won't it be too much stress for all the buns to live in one studio?

Thank you in advance!

You can bring them home and separate part of the room for them without adults accessing this part for the beginning. Then I think you could try to have them together and see how it goes.
Rather soon the cat transporting cage will be getting too small for them. Don't forget to introduce soon alfalfa hay and pellets (formulated for baby rabbits)

Last edited:
If you are having territorial issues with just your two rabbits. I'd be hesitant and might not even bring in six more. Let alone introducing them all to each other. Your female could revert back to her aggression and they both could get worse with marking

Thumperina, woahlookitsme, thank you for your reply. We were not going to introduce adults and babies in the first place, just to keep babies for few weeks due to often feeding time. As everything is going well with caring for them in shelter, we decided not to bring them home, so we don't stress our bunnies.

All bunnies are eating well. The weakest bun still is smaller than others, but he has a great appetite and is moving around a lot. After consulting with rabbit shelter from Poland, our vet gave him an injection for strength. It is still not 100% clear, whether he will make it, but so far he seems stable.

I could add photos of babies, but am not sure it is allowed, even if they are from shelter.

why not? photos are fine.
Remind us what happened to the mom?

I am originally from neighboring St Petersburg :)

Latest posts

Back