Introducing a friend to my Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarrotTop

Reaction score
I have a giant continental rabbit and i am thinking of getting him a friend (another male).
At the moment he is uneutered, he is 15 weeks old.
How would i go about introducing them and would i need to house the new rabbit separately?
Tia x

You'll have to wait until you get your boy neutered first. Once he's neutered, you'll need to wait another 4-8 weeks for hormones to fully dissipate.

Once that's done, you can have him bunny date some other fixed rabbits at a rabbit rescue. This allows him to choose the rabbit -- it is a way to pre-screen for potential compatibility. From there, the rescue group will help guide you through the bonding process. Typically you will need two cages until the process is complete. Some bonds go quick, but others takes many months. Some don't work at all.

If you find that a potential bondmate is just not working, the rescue typically allows an exchange which ensures you wind up with an actual bond.

If you just buy a random bunny (not from a rescue) and the bunnies decide to not bond, you will be stuck housing them both separately from then on.

You'll want to read all about bonding before making a final decision on whether or not to do so. Here's a good site:

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

Thankyou very much, seems like a long drawn out process but it will be good to find him some company of his own.
Will go ahead and get him neutered when he is a little bigger :)

Blue Eyes said everything. You might want to know that bonding two males is the most difficult scenario as having two adult males being friendly in the same warren is not a natural situation for a rabbit. I know someone who bonded two males successfully, but they had frequent squabbles about hierarchy issues and they were really laid back. If you're dead set on having two males, I would go with an adult rabbit from a rescue so that you can test the compatibility - if you take a baby, there is a risk that they won't go along at all once the hormones kick in (and two rabbits fighting is no joke).

Sounds like i would be better of getting a spayed female or spaying a female once i get her

Sounds like i would be better of getting a spayed female or spaying a female once i get her

Your best option by far would be a spayed female from a rescue. If you get a female and then have her spayed, there is no telling whether or not they will ultimately bond. Not all bunnies get along. It would be a shame to get a young bunny, spay her, only to find out that she won't get along with your boy.

That's the great thing about going though a rescue. They will ensure you wind up with a bondable rabbit.

I have had more than one occasion where I had to exchange a rabbit at a rescue because the rabbit ended up being incompatible with my current bunny.

Latest posts

Back