Peeing on the couch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blwinteler

Reaction score
I moved almost a month ago. As of day before yesterday, one of my buns (I think Groucho) has taken to peeing on the couch. Any ideas why? How can I stop him? How can I clean it thoroughly? I'm really frustrated.

I had a similar problem with my bunny and the bed. She was completely litter trained, but then we moved and she for some reason she kept peeing by the front door and on my bed.

I kept cleaning the floor with vinegar, but my bunny must be the only one that isn't deterred by the smell. So we eventually blocked all the areas she went to to pee, didn't let her on the bed and eventually she went back to her litter tray and hasn't peed anywhere else since.

I think it was a territory marking area, and once we stopped her going there and she got used to the place she stopped doing it.

I would just use vinegar around areas he/she pees, don't let them on the sofa, build up a cushion blockade when you have to leave the house. Eventually they will understand.

Is your bunny litter trained? If not, then this could help as they like to choose certain places to pee and keep going back to those places.

If your bunny can still smell his/her pee on the sofa they may have crowned this their bathroom. You would probably need to take covers or pillows to a dry cleaner to have the smell removed completely.

Hope this helps!

How old are your rabbits? Are they spayed/neutered? Is the pee orange or red-ish in color? If they are adult and neutered, you'll have to forbid them from jumping on the couch. Wha'ts happening is very probably that, the place you're in now being a new territory, one of your rabbit is trying to become "top rabbit" by claiming ownership of the couch (it's very common for rabbits to chose the couch, as it is clearly a place prized by humans, and it offers a high up place to "watch" the room it's in). If possible take the couch cover to wash it in the washing machine as it is important to remove the smell. Then you have to say "NO" very clearly everytime one of your rabbit is approching the couch. When you can't supervise, you'll have to close the door or to find a way to make the couch innaccessible to them... I would advise throwing an old blanket on the couch for now, to avoid other accidents if one of your monsters succeed in evading your supervision (they're FAST when they do naughty things).

Latest posts

Back