Litter box issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_08

Reaction score
We have had Benny a couple of months and he has been great about going in his litter box. I'm the last week he has decided to start going just outside the box on the floor!!

This is our setup and he is going where the hutch and door make the corner, on the towel or he scratches the towel away and goes on the floor.

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1440422126.178666.jpg

Any suggestions how to stop this?

Also, he is not eating much hay at the moment, do you think this set up discourages hay eating??

Try putting hay in a couple different places to encourage him to eat it. How old is he? If he is nearing bunny puberty, the pooping outside the litterbox may be hormonal territory marking. Neutering might help that. Most rabbit owners will tell you that if you get your rabbit to pee consistently in the litterbox, that's the best you can hope for. A lot or rabbits leave some stray poops outside the litterbox or they just get knocked out or dragged out when the bunny hops out of the litterbox. Also, the towel may be the problem. It might be holding the scent and encouraging him to go there again and again. A hard surface that you can wipe down with a vinegar/water solution is a better option.

Sorry I should have clarified. He's starting weeing outside the box. I'm not fussed about the odd poo outside the box.

I am starting to have the same problem and wanted to start a thread on it but noticed someone beat me to it =0)

This idea may or may not work for you, but it worked for my rabbit. To get her to urinate in the litter box more, I would give her a treat like a piece of parsley or peppermint or basil each time that she did go successfully in her litter box (while she was still in the litterbox), and I would also tell her that she is a good girl when she does her business. Her ears perk up when I say this. I believe that rabbits DO pick up on buzz words and treats. It worked for my rabbit. It might be worth a try for yours. You have nothing to lose. Maybe give it a try :)

Latest posts

Back