Need Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylovin1093

Reaction score
Hi all. So since Bambi's previous friend Betty passed away from Pasturella I have been thinking of getting him another friend. I am not sure if I should. Bambi lives outside in a walk in chicken coop

http://alwaysdirect.com.au/huge-wal...IDzlxIGgUsynofMHI3k3a55a87TVbJuoL8aAu5N8P8HAQ

with a homemade run attached that is 3.80m long my 1.10m wide. He loves people and will follow you around. He is affectionate and loves nose rubs and pats. He spends his time bunny flopping, eating hay and greens whilst keeping a look out for humans. When it is dinner time he does binkies and sometimes he does random zoomies. I want to get him a friend because he gets bored quickly no matter how many toys he has and he lives outside so I spend at least an hour and a half with him each day normally 2 but I worry he gets lonely. What I am worried about is that he does not want another friend and that he will be jealous if I give the other bunny attention. He seems quite happy but he does get bored easily. When I had Betty his friend he seemed very happy and they snuggled and groomed together. But when I came along Bambi was frustrated that he was not the centre of attention. After a month Bambi began to chase Betty away form food and stuff, growling at her. I think however this was probably because Betty was getting increasingly sick each day and Bambi did not want to catch it as he only started this behaviour when she began to get quite snuffly. Because she was getting so sick I seperated them to prevent Bambi getting sick. He did not seem to care and would not touch anything she had touched. At this time however he could stillsee her through a couple of x pen panels. When she passed he did not grieve really and remained his normal self.

That is the whole story. So now I am unsure as to whether it would be a good idea to get him a friend or not. He seems to love people but also not have a problem with other rabbits as Betty was the first rabbit he ever met and was grooming her on their second meeting ( the first one being at the shelter choosing a rabbit ) . Bambi also shares his home with a pair of shy guinea pigs who he tolerates and occasionally grooms. He also grooms the soft toy cat he has and the fleece blanket and my clothes.

How do you know he is bored? He seems like he has quite a happy life right now from what you have said. I personally have had no luck bonding rabbits so I vote in favor of not trying to get Bambi a friend.

I think he is bored because he often chews his cage bars and just seems to stare into space. He is very athletic and is always desparate to get out for excercise. He normally does little binkys when he sees me which I guess means he's excited to see me. I can't really say I have bonded many bunnies but Bambi and Betty were way easier to bond then everyone said and all the things I read said they would not get on that well but they were snuggled together the second time they met. Bambi seems to get along with other rabbits very well. He is overall very friendly with people, rabbits and other animals.

So I'm been a while and I'm still puzzling over this topic. I've been busy lately and I have only been spending 30 mins with Bambi each day because of time. He is still acting the same as before. There is a wild bunny who is missing an eye and seems to be partially deaf that has been visiting him every day for the last 4 months. I think its a boy as Bambi gets a little lungey and territorial when its around. The wild bunny however seems to love Bambi and is always chinning his run and trying to get inside. I'm still wondering if Bambi would be happier with a friend. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back