Confused Buck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopMad

Reaction score
Hey! Question for all fellow bunny breeders out there..

I am trying to breed my buck, but he's very confused.

He is proven and this is probably his 5th time breeding. It's been about 2 months since his last breeding.

I put the doe in his cage and he starting humping her.. on the face. She is an experienced doe and will sit still for him, but she gets frustrated eventually and bites him.

I tried showing my buck where to go but during breeding he gets a little aggressive and tried to nip me.

He started humping her in the right place but slowly went up her back and missed completely.

I've separated them to give both of them time to calm down.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't want them fighting and I don't feel like bitten either.

It's normal for the buck to mount the doe's head, or mount her from behind, but further up the back. He will typically do this when the doe is not lifting on her own. His little "dance" back and forth around different parts of her body is an attempt to get her in the mood. If you watch a more submissive doe, she'll often raise her head to get him off and then chase and mount him. By the time he pins her down again, she lifts for him and the breeding is completed.

More aggressive does may try biting the buck, which isn't good when you're dealing with sensitive parts! If your doe is like this, I'd recommend table breeding. Just sit her on a surface with traction (carpeted grooming table or whatever) and cup your hand over her head. Then let the buck mount her while you hold her still.

Latest posts

Back