How effective are Vita-Drops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally would not buy them as I feel as though my rabbits get enough vitamins from the pellets, hay, greens and treats :)

I am not sure about a bun with Pasturella, I've never experienced this myself.

Hopefully someone with more experience can offer some better advice! Good luck :)

I use oxbow immune support tablets. I give each rabbit one daily (it depends on weight). They love them. I also give them each a digestive support tablet daily, also from oxbow. Our vet recommended them.

Stevenmum I give the oxbow tabs as well- the buns think they are treats! Haha

I've read of some rabbit owners with sick buns(some with respiratory illness) giving echinacea drops(no alcohol type) or dried chopped leaves to help boost their rabbits immune systems. From their accounts many of them felt it really helped.

If you give things like vitamin drops, you need to be careful not to be overdoing it as getting too much of certain vitamins can be harmful.

I give all my bunnies all of the oxbow tablets :) especially my show bunnies, they are great and my bunnies think they are treats too :) they binky and kiss me for them

Really. There are at least six different kinds of oxbow tablet. Not sure they should be given in such amounts, since the dosage is based on weight and they are similar in terms of ingredients. I'd be a bit more careful with it, it's not actually a treat.

I recently purchased my bunny from a very nice, small rabbitry. After a few days of having her I noticed sneezing and mucus build up and thought immediately pasturella. I used 3 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE), 10 drops Apple Cider Vinegar (acv) in the water bowl, refreshed daily, and echinacea capsule over her food, one a day. I have to say it definitely helped. She no longer sneezes anymore and has a much easier time breathing, she was mouth breathing and no longer does that and it's been about a week. I would definitely recommend at least giving it a try, I already had the apple cider vinegar and the GSE and echinacea cost a total of $25. Definitely cheaper than a vet visit and I feel it has helped her immensely. Good luck with your bunny!

I will have to look into and try some of these things. Thanks for the ideas all! Many things I've never heard of that sound promising :)

In general I would recommend against adding anything to the water source and running the risk of decreasing their water intake, especially in a sick rabbit and especially during the hot summer months. Work on offering a healthy diet and your rabbit should be getting all the vitamins they need that way.

Missycove that does make sense about the water intake! I work with my vet and we have a very specific diet set up to ensure she gets everything necessary, I just look for anything extra I can do that is beneficial to boost her immune system as much as possible beyond that of just good diet. :)

Latest posts

Back