Please help with pellets !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtothis

Reaction score
I'm currently online (Petsmart) looking for new food for Peanut. He's currently eating some pellets that say Forti Diet ? not sure what that is I kind of picked up the first thing that didn't include treats. I want to avoid doing this today, so what kind of pellets should I be feeding him? what's a good brand ? he seems to enjoy the ones he has now but I thought I'd try something new. Thanks in advance

I highly recommend oxbow :) They make Timothy based pellets and are really good for the buns.

I used to feed Oxbow to my rabbits and they love it. I don't feed it anymore because I have too many bunnies and it was getting expensive going through 2 bags a week :D

I use a mix of oxbow, jack rabbit pellets, castlereagh pellets and Vella stock feed breeder and grower pellets. I was told this mix is good for rabbits by breeders and showers. I also include a little weetbix in my mix and some times a sprinkle of chaff (don't do this usually).

But all of the pellets I mentioned are great. I have to mix them with 20+ rabbits it gets expensive :)

Any type of the Oxbow pellets are good. There are four types of Oxbow pellets currently. The Bunny Basics/T, for adult rabbits 8 months-1 year and older, then the Baby rabbit kind for rabbits younger than 8 months, the Organic Oxbow Pellets, and the most expensive kind being Oxbow Natural Science which is ONLY for adult rabbits.

But basically anything Oxbow brand I trust.

I use oxbow for my 3 month old rhinelander bunny, she seems to love them however, it CAN get expensive with a rabbit that eats a cup a day!

Here is a good chart comparing various pellet brands:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

One thing to bear in mind when getting pellet advice is that the nutritional needs of breeding bunnies is different than that of indoor pet rabbits.

Also, you mentioned Petsmart. I can't remember whether it is Petsmart or Petco, but one of those does not carry Oxbow products, the other does.

Another fairly popular option for RO members has been Sherwood Forest Natural Rabbit Food. It is only available online. It is likely the greenest, freshest pellet you can find. I've used both Oxbow and Sherwood.

And, as Stevesmum pointed out, it is quite important to transition to a new pellet -- don't just suddenly switch or it could upset their tummy.

Back