Oat vs. Orchard Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
We've realized we can't do timothy hay due to allergies, but we seem to tolerate oat hay, and orchard hay.

I can get oat hay pretty cheaply near home, so that's been our go to. Our vet mentioned Orchard, I think because it's one of the more common ones next to Timothy hay, but I'm wondering, what's the difference between the two?

If he's eating Oat, seems fine eating it, likes it, and we can get it at a reasonable price, can we just stick with oat as his main hay? I figured I could mix in some orchard from time to time for variety, but if we can stick to oat as our main hay it'd be ideal. But I didn't know why the vet might prefer orchard over oat?

Yeah oat hay is fine. Just make sure its not too mature with seed heads. Thats a bit too much sugar and starch for a bunny if their eating seed heads from oat hay.
Orchard is wonderfull and soft hay.
Its just different species of grass

Yeah oat hay is fine. Just make sure its not too mature with seed heads. Thats a bit too much sugar and starch for a bunny if their eating seed heads from oat hay.
Orchard is wonderfull and soft hay.
Its just different species of grass

Thanks, I've been buying Oxbow Oat and I've read that's a good brand.

I might consider buying a larger quantity at some point, but I'm new to bunnies so not sure where to order from, if anyone has any suggestions to order larger quantities, and good quality online (oat or orchard) that would be great :)

Can I mix up the two hays, or go back and fourth between the two and rotate them?

Perhaps if you posted your location in your profile people may be able to help out with that.

But I would suggest finding a tractor supply or Farm store or tack store or directly off a horse owner, and buying a bale of hay.
Just stay away from alfalfa/Lucerne hay or mixes with such hay as its too high in protein/calcium for adult (over 6month) rabbits.

I was looking at ordering from either Binky Bunny, Sierra Valley, or Doctors Foster & Smith, they all sell both Oat or Orchard in larger quantities

does anyone have experience ordering from one of these places?

Latest posts

Back