New bun mom with 4 questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keehajoigrimm

Reaction score
Potty training: my bun is great about using her litter box for peeing and majority of her pooping, but she leaves single drops around her pen and/or the floor when running around the room. I've picked them up and put them in her litter box to show her that's where they go. She went an entire day without dropping anywhere other than her box but it only lasted that long. Is there anything I can do to prevent her from leaving her tiny poops everywhere?

Toe Crazy: My buns LOVES to follow me around if I get up and go anywhere around the house. But sometimes she sort of charges at my toes when I'm standing, like an intense obsession sort of to where I'm unsure if she's just going to sniff them or maybe nip? I usually just cover my feet before finding out. It's never in an aggressive manor but she definitely gets as close as she can. I was thinking maybe my toe nail polish grabs her attention, but I'm unsure. Is this normal or strange?

Carpet: Daisy has an issue with chewing on carpet. I have given her other chewing alternatives and have even tried covering the carpet where she chews but she always manages to find her way around it. She's not eating it, but I still prefer the carpet to remain chewfree. What Can I do?

And lastly, how much freedom should I give my buns to roam around the house? I only let her have free run in one room of the house for now, but due to the carpet chewing concerns and droppings, I haven't been comfortable letting her explores the rest of the house yet.

First question would be, is she spayed? Spayed bunnies are best with potty training and are less likely to chew destructively.

That said, it is the rare bunny indeed that doesn't leave the occasional stray poo. But bunny poos are dry, odor-free and easy enough to sweep up. Just consider stray poos as part of life with a bunny. I've only had 1 rabbit that was 100% with poos. And I believe it was Larry (on RO) who said that out of the 40 or so rabbits they have had, that only 1 or 2 were 100%.

Carpet chewing is more common with intact rabbits in my experience. You'll need to distract her or block access to carpet. Providing interesting diversions like cardboard "castles" and tunnels, etc, can help keep her mind off of the carpet when she is wandering.

How much freedom to give your bunnies? The more the better, provided the area(s) are bunny proofed. My rabbits have the cage door open all day long. I close doors to bedrooms and offices. So they have access to the main areas of the house - family room, kitchen, dining room, hallways, etc.

You might like to see some photos of house bunnies in action at my site. It is just an information site about housing rabbits indoors. (I don't sell anything) But it may give you some ideas. Here is that site.

Latest posts

Back