Please help :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cvn985

Reaction score
I have had Hercules for about 2 weeks now and I most of what I know about rabbits comes from Google. Hercules was given to me as a gift but was told he is about 3months old. About 2 days ago I noticed he sad a small dent on his nose, it looked dry and cracked so I thought maybe he scratched it on his cage. Either way his nose looks like it has gotten worse, he does let me lightly touch it but I went to the pet store to get him some treats yesterday and one of the girls told me to put neosporin on it, is this right? Does anyone know what's wrong with him? Should I put something on it or just let it heal on its own, please help :(

image.jpg

I would personally take him to the vet as I haven't seen that and I would panic :( hope he is okay and recovers nicely :)

I don't know what that is either, it's very unusual and agree he should be seen by a vet. If it's dry I imagine it's probably quite sore too, since their little noses constantly wiggle.

I have had Hercules for about 2 weeks now and I most of what I know about rabbits comes from Google. Hercules was given to me as a gift but was told he is about 3months old. About 2 days ago I noticed he sad a small dent on his nose, it looked dry and cracked so I thought maybe he scratched it on his cage. Either way his nose looks like it has gotten worse, he does let me lightly touch it but I went to the pet store to get him some treats yesterday and one of the girls told me to put neosporin on it, is this right? Does anyone know what's wrong with him? Should I put something on it or just let it heal on its own, please help :(

I agree, take him to the vet. The longer you wait the more worse it gets and it could be something very serious.

Is it chapped? It looks similar to a chapped/irritated nose condition we found on a stray dong one time. Neosporin and Aquaphor helped in that situation, but I'm not sure that's what you have there. Personally I would call the vet. Good luck!

It's hard to determine from the photo, but is the skin on the nose dry and crusted, or is that fur there and it's just inflamed, or is it both inflamed and crusted? Is there a visible scratch on the nose? If it is inflamed and you live in the EU or Australia(or any other country that has myxomatosis, not usually the US/Canada) get your rabbit to the vet immediately, especially if you see inflammation around the eyes and/or ears as well.

Jackalope stray dogs and rabbits are very different and things that are good for dogs are sometimes bad for rabbits :)

It's hard to determine from the photo, but is the skin on the nose dry and crusted, or is that fur there and it's just inflamed, or is it both inflamed and crusted? Is there a visible scratch on the nose? If it is inflamed and you live in the EU or Australia(or any other country that has myxomatosis, not usually the US/Canada) get your rabbit to the vet immediately, especially if you see inflammation around the eyes and/or ears as well.

I forgot myxo could present like this, in the wild rabbtis around here you usually see it in the swollen face and runny eyes, but generally without lesions.

Check your rabbit's genital region too, often there will be swelling there as well. But you definitely need to get to a vet ASAP in case it's myxomatosis.

Thank you for your advise but what is curious is that it doesn't appear swollen or red just looks dry and the vet won't see him for another week :(

In that case it could be mites, or even possibly rabbit syphilis, but these are just guesses not seeing the condition close up. Mange mites in particular can cause a crustiness on the skin. Though from your pic I can't really see too well what you are describing. To me the nose looks a bit inflamed, but I can't really tell for sure. If you want to post a good close up photo, we might be able to give you a better idea, otherwise those would be what I would suspect. I don't know that either is considered an emergency condition, but I would want to get my bun in right away, especially if it seemed that it could compromise the nasal airways or if you notice any inflammation or secondary infection. If you notice any mouth breathing, that is an emergency. In any case, which ever it is does require vet attention and the correct medications to clear it up. A simple scratch would present differently, and to me that doesn't seem to be what you are describing or what the picture is showing.

There are some pictures in these links that you could look at to see if either matches up with what you are seeing.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Syph_gen.html

Jackalope stray dogs and rabbits are very different and things that are good for dogs are sometimes bad for rabbits :)

Yeah....I am aware they are different species, thanks.

More recently, I asked a question here about Nu-Stock for a condition on my rabbit's ear, and someone guided me to the Neosporin. The vet concurred it was fine, and the scratch healed beautifully without further action.

Obviously the OP should consult with a vet, but if something like Neo. can relieve some of the symptoms until the vet visit, I see nothing wrong with it.

(It worked like a charm on the dog. :))

He doesn't appear swollen anywhere else, no breathing problems. No change in his behavior he's still jumping all over the place and being sweet so not sure what it could be, adding a closer picture, thank you for all the help!

image.jpg

I would so be at the Vet w/ this little one ... IMO

they have a tendency of not showing problem(s) in the beginning but at when they do, they go real quick ( in a bad direction )

looks like vent disease. good course of long lasting penicillin will clear that up. NOT to be used for breeding.

Finally made it to the vet and turned out he had mites! Got a shot and it is already looking better!!

That's great! If the vet didn't mention, you'll want at least one follow up injection to make sure to get any hatching eggs that the first injection didn't get.

Yeah you will need one more injection after this to get the mite eggs off, maybe even a second one...

Glade to hear he's doing better, please update us with photos of his development :) hope he recovers nicely

Latest posts

Back