Peoples Experience with Angoras

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimoomin

Reaction score
I currently have a Mini lop and was thinking of adopting her a friend once I get her spayed, and I really love the look of Angora ☺️

What experiences have people had with them? What's their energy levels like? Are they generally relaxed? Any other helpful information??

Thanks!!

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos about different kinds of angoras myself lately, as I think I'd like to have one some day too. The ones that talk about their behaviour and attitude say they're sweet, well behaved rabbits that have been bred to put up with manhandling.

I hope there's a forum member who can give us more info. :D

Angoras need grooming everyday! There cages need to be cleaned every 3 days as poop can get stuck in there fur and get matted, they are pretty chill rabbits and love cuddles well mine does. There fur needs to be cut yearly to avoid over heating them (people usually do it in summer, you can sell it and make some money aswel :) they are hard work but it pays off :) they are beautiful

What colour are you looking at getting?

Angoras need grooming everyday! There cages need to be cleaned every 3 days as poop can get stuck in there fur and get matted, they are pretty chill rabbits and love cuddles well mine does. There fur needs to be cut yearly to avoid over heating them (people usually do it in summer, you can sell it and make some money aswel :) they are hard work but it pays off :) they are beautiful

What colour are you looking at getting?

What can you sell it for/to :what: I'm not looking to get a angora that just seems interesting and escspecially since valley weather here in summer is 100°F+ :sad:

Another thing about grooming, is there any special tools needed to trim their fur? Or can I just use a pair of hair scissors?

Well you can use scissors but i would go to a professional groomer or a breeder with experience as rabbits skin is very soft and can cut easily.

They are adorable little fluff balls :)
Maybe talk to some breeders and get there options as I have 1 but they would have more info for you :)

Do not get an angora solely based on looks. Yes, they are beautiful, but they are a lot of work. I have seen and had to deal with what happens when someone doens't know how to care for one. It's not good for the rabbit to be completely covered in mats that are 2" thick (I am not exaggerating, I have seen this a few times).
Even if you aren't up for the care of a long coat, the rabbit will need to be shaved down more often. They are usually clipped every 3-4 months, so keeping the coat short would mean shaving every 6-8 weeks. Most people who will groom an angora charge $50-100 each time.
Keeping the coat longer takes work. You need a good blower to open up the coat, blow the dander out, and keep matting down. Blowing is easier and faster than brushing. Some coats are easier to care for than others, but all do require some care to avoid matting. Some breeds, like the English angora, have facial furnishings that require regular brushing to keep them from getting matted.
Angoras do require a controlled environment. They can overheat easily, so need to be kept cool.
While angoras are generally sweat and easy to handle, not all are. Mine does not like to be held, and have nipped me several times. This is just what she is like. You do have to treat them all as individuals and not just expect a perfect rabbits.

Sorry forgot about blowing... Whoops. My angoras coat doesn't get that long I usually shave it every 8-12 mths and it is almost always short

Are there coat differences between each breed of Angora? Such as English and French ones?

My uncle used to breed Angoras when he was a teenager. So my grandparents have all of the tools and know how to cut the fur. Obviously I'm going to do more research if I do get one. But still it'll be towards the end of the year if I get one so I have time to learn! 😊

Yes, there are coat differences. The french naturally shed their coat and the english don't, it's like our hair. I think the english is the only one with a hair like coat but not 100% sure.

Latest posts

Back