what do you use to groom your bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
What brush/comb do you use for bunny? I have a ferminator, but I feel like it's kind of rough on his skin. Is this okay to use, or should I try something else? Thanks...

I use a thin comb (like for humans that get nits/dandruff out your hair) this will help and see of there are mites. I also have a rubber brush which gently pulls Oscar's fur which then sticks on the brush, it is vey handy and keeps his shedding to a minimum.

I use a thin comb (like for humans that get nits/dandruff out your hair) this will help and see of there are mites. I also have a rubber brush which gently pulls Oscar's fur which then sticks on the brush, it is vey handy and keeps his shedding to a minimum.

Where did you get the rubber brush from? Do you know what brand it is? Anything like that would be great, we just adopted bunny, and he hasn't been brushed in goodness knows how long, so I want to brush him, but I don't want to damage his delicate skin either. Thanks :)

What breed? Short hair or long hair, long hair I use a dog brush and short hair I use a nit comb as it makes mites showable :)

For short haired breeds I recommend a rubber brush too. I actually bought one that was designed to remove pet hair from surfaces, but it works great for brushing bandit too. It removes tonnes of hair, though you have to brush outside because it doesn't hold onto the hair, I find that the hair just flies everywhere. It's this brush here, though branded differently, and I paid about $3 for it at my local supermarket. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rubb...es-Gooming-Free-Shipping-V3783/743671805.html It's quite large, so possibly a bit big for a mini lop, but you can find all sorts of sizes and shapes if you search for rubber cat brush.

I have also used slicker brushes and cheap plastic combs, but found that neither worked well at all. The rubber one is the best one I've used.

Where did you get the rubber brush from? Do you know what brand it is? Anything like that would be great, we just adopted bunny, and he hasn't been brushed in goodness knows how long, so I want to brush him, but I don't want to damage his delicate skin either. Thanks :)

I got mine from a local pet shop but there are a lot on amazon that you can buy and they are inexpensive.

I would be very reluctant to use a furminator myself, as there are several accounts of owners unintentionally injuring their rabbits thin skin with them.

I have found a damp hand works the best for me. Occasionally I'll use a slicker brush.

I would be very reluctant to use a furminator myself, as there are several accounts of owners unintentionally injuring their rabbits thin skin with them.

I have found a damp hand works the best for me. Occasionally I'll use a slicker brush.

What breed can you use a slicker brush? I heard it should only be used for long hair rabbits or am I wrong? I am pretty sure if they have rubber ends so it doesn't stab the scratch their soft skin is alright? Right? :what:

What breed can you use a slicker brush? I heard it should only be used for long hair rabbits or am I wrong? I am pretty sure if they have rubber ends so it doesn't stab the scratch their soft skin is alright? Right? :what:

I have used a slicker brush on several short-haired rabbits, one without the rubber/plastic tips on the teeth. I've never scratched their skin but you have to be quite gentle. I don't find they work all that well anyway, although I will use it if I need to give Bandit a brush and can't take him outside for it due to weather conditions. I just make sure that I'm not really going over any bony parts (like shoulder blades) too firmly.

I have used a slicker brush on several short-haired rabbits, one without the rubber/plastic tips on the teeth. I've never scratched their skin but you have to be quite gentle. I don't find they work all that well anyway, although I will use it if I need to give Bandit a brush and can't take him outside for it due to weather conditions. I just make sure that I'm not really going over any bony parts (like shoulder blades) too firmly.

The only good one I have seen so far is the hairbuster which is hard to find here in the UK. So that's why I am looking for an alternative and I was thinking about buying the furminator until JBun said that it has injured rabbits skin which I don't want to do. It is really hard to fine brushes dedicated to rabbits, so many cat and dog brushes but not enough rabbit brushes :(

Back