Spay questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
I found a clinic that spays for $85 but I want to make sure that nothing bad (for the rabbit) is hidden behind the low cost. Last time I neutered my male for only 35 USD, I had a feeling that pain control wasn't adequate so I don't want to miss on this when spaying my female.
What questions should I ask the vet and what anesthesia is common and necessary for the spay surgery? I need to make sure they do it properly.

This is what I always ask the vet:

-What is your success rate?
-How many times have you sprayed or neutered a rabbit?
-How many deaths have you had?
-why is it such a low cost?
-are all your needles and things sterile and new (for needles and things going into your rabbit)
-are you certified? (Seems obviously but yeah)

Also talk to your vet about the statistics and make sure she/he knows what he is talking about.

This also reinsures you about your worries :) hope I helped

He told me - "I have spayed many rabbits but most of them were about 6 month of age. Having a rabbit like yours (she is a big bunny, 3.5 yo) makes me nervous"
A little detail: his brother owns a vet clinic 2 minutes away from my house and I used to be coming there sometimes. Same thing - a good general practice vet (his brother), but without a detailed knowledge of rabbits, but still could be useful. Cost of spay there is about $200.
The suburb vet where cost is low said that it's just the way it is: fancy clinic for his brother and low-profile for him. I don't know why...
My concern is: the cost of good anesthesia can't be low...that makes me think that the meds they use would be something cheaper and not so good...

Sorry didn't mean to click reply :(

Ask him what he uses and where he gets it from (would of put the word that you have been using anest... But my autocorrect keeps changing it and I just have up :() )

Ring around the area and see if anyone has an reviews on him :)

Latest posts

Back