New Owner...Lots of questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
We've had Gizmo home for 3 days now, and I'm learning lots from him already :) But...I do have some questions. He's a 2 year old male mini lop, he is neutered. I was told he's litter trained.

*I know rabbits are crepuscular, I've noticed that even though we're home in the evening, from about 5PM-10PM, he really doesn't get very active until closer to 10PM when we're going to bed. Will this change with time, will he end up more on a schedule like ours? I'd like to see him more active when we are, instead of when we're going to bed.

* Even though we were told he's litter trained, since we've gotten him home, his litter box habits aren't that great. He's gone a couple of times in the box, but other times not in the box. I read that they should generally go in the same spot in their cage, but he's not doing this. Earlier today, he pooped twice, both in different spots, and tonight he peed in another spot. Should I give him more time? I know he's been through a lot coming home with us strange humans to a new family.

*I tried putting only paper pellets in his litter box, with a hay rack right next to the box, but when I do that I noticed that he doesn't eat the hay from the rack, or use the litter box. The only times he's used the box is when there is hay in the box (paper pellets, with hay on top). For some reason this grosses me out, having the hay he's eating in the box, but maybe I just need to cave and realize this is how bunnies do it, and the hay rack might not be an option?

*So far I've just had fleece down under his hutch, with a rug underneath that. Because he's been peeing on the fleece, and throws hay everywhere, and picked up his litter box and threw it (I've since tied it down), the fleece isn't working, I'm having to change it too often to keep it clean. I'd rather have a hard surface, one that's washable...with blankets that can easily be removed. Can I do this? I was thinking of buying a sheet of vinyl flooring or something, putting that under his hutch, it would be much easier to spot clean, and then if I just had a blanket or rug I could remove that and wash it when it gets dirty. Is this an okay plan?

Sorry for so many questions...kind of learning as we go here!

*I know rabbits are crepuscular, I've noticed that even though we're home in the evening, from about 5PM-10PM, he really doesn't get very active until closer to 10PM when we're going to bed. Will this change with time, will he end up more on a schedule like ours? I'd like to see him more active when we are, instead of when we're going to bed.

I want to add, in regards to this part about his schedule...we plan to leave his hutch door open for play/exercise time during these times that we're home (5PM-10PM), and we've been doing that, but so far during these times, he's just in his hutch sleeping, and not really coming out for exercise time. I'm hoping he'll adjust to our schedule for this reason as well.

As far as the peeling goes....my bunnies are all litter box trained but if I put down a fleece blanket it's pee-a-geddon. They love to pee on fleece so you might want to swap with something not so soft!

I put hay in the front part of the litter box on top of the litter. I don't really worry about it, rabbits eat poop right from their butt haha. I change their litter boxes daily.

Also with the litter, it may take him a few days to pick up his litter habits. He just needs time to settle in and get used to his new territory :)

As far as the peeling goes....my bunnies are all litter box trained but if I put down a fleece blanket it's pee-a-geddon. They love to pee on fleece so you might want to swap with something not so soft!

I never thought of this, that it might be the fleece. It makes sense, the other time he went completely outside of his cage, he went on a piece of fleece I had down. This reiterates my thought to change his flooring.

I put hay in the front part of the litter box on top of the litter. I don't really worry about it, rabbits eat poop right from their butt haha. I change their litter boxes daily.

So true, never thought of it that way :)

This morning he did have poop and pee in the box so yay for progress.

I can work with him on the litter training. I think my biggest concern right now is his schedule, and wondering if it'll adjust to jive more with ours when he's active. Last night, I had his cage door open for exercise time from about 5-10, and he barely came out to play, he slept most of the time.

He also might be marking his new territory in regards to his erratic litter behavior!
You should try to get him on a schedule for like breakfast and dinner (at my house we did seven and seven) and hand feed some of his goodies that way it helps him to bond with you and gets a schedule going where you can see more than just your adorable sleeping rabbit!

He also might be marking his new territory in regards to his erratic litter behavior!
You should try to get him on a schedule for like breakfast and dinner (at my house we did seven and seven) and hand feed some of his goodies that way it helps him to bond with you and gets a schedule going where you can see more than just your adorable sleeping rabbit!

Good idea, I'll try that as far as scheduling his meal times! He's definitely up at the same time with us in the mornings, it's the evenings that we're struggling with. We did hand feed his romaine tonight, and he LOVED it!

Latest posts

Back