domestic wild bunny possible trauma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahonikki

Reaction score
We live in fairly rural area where someone's rabbits at some point got loose and have had a couple of babies. (with all the dogs in the neighborhood running loose, they don't last long. :-( )
I noticed one acting strange in the neighbors driveway Saturday morning - flipping/body rolling and had head tilt. I got it inside before it got ran over or the loose dogs got ahold of it. It's eyes were acting like it had the head spins and the head tilt was pretty bad. No apparent injury, no blood, no broken bones, and clean ears - no sign of ear infection. No blood from the nostrils, nothing. We have kept it inside since I found it. It's eating, drinking water and pooping. Sunday it seemed better - less head tilt, holding itself up, and no more body rolls. It still acts off balance a bit though. No more eye spins. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be or could've been wrong with it? Suggestions on what more we could do, outside of taking it to a vet?
(my son is getting married in two weeks, so financially I cannot afford loads of tests at a vet)

Call around, there should be a vet you can surrender it to without paying the fees. It really needs to see a vet, it sounds like it has neurological damage. Other than a vet there may be a rabbit rescue in your area that may be able to help.

I agree with BrokenMermaid. A vet or rescue organisation would be the best place to take this poor bunny. You did the right thing by saving it, hopefully it will recover :)

Do you have a RSPCA, spca or rabbit rescue/vet near by? You should be able to drop it off and let it get the treatment it needs and deserves. I believe brokenmermaid is right in saying what it has, have rescued a older rabbit with this... He sadly didn't survive but I was able to get him to a nearby vet and he got some treatment and passed away before more treatment could be done, I was praying he would make it through and I could adopt him but life isn't always fair for all :(

Most common causes of head tilt are inner ear infection, e. cuniculi parasite, and head trauma. Tumor and stroke are other less common causes. It really could be any of these. The rabbit most likely needs xrays and needs the appropriate medications. I agree that it really does need to be seen by a good rabbit vet. Like others have said, you should be able to surrender it to a rabbit vet, rabbit rescue, or humane society/shelter.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt.html

I also remember reading something about someone's bun who was acting similar to that one. I think they said it had had a stroke. Not to sure if this helps, but good luck!

Latest posts

Back