Sudden death in my male rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley403

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if someone could give me a bit insight please?
I had two male rabbits who live together (always have since they were bunnies)
They lived in a large double hutch with large run attached.were fed on pellets,hay & fresh veg.the rabbits were very well looked after
Anyway,they were out yesterday,fed watered before bed & all seemed fine & have gone to them this morning to both being dead,lying on their sides next to each other!its very upsetting & has shocked us all
Can anyone help as to why this could have happened

How old were they? They might have just died because of old age...
I'm so sorry for your loss😓😓 I also just lost one of two rabbits😓😓

I am so sorry. Could it be that something frightened them during the night? A large cat in the area or something like that?

I am very sorry to hear this. Are they intact? nothing indicates an attack? is hutch intact as well?
I have heard of a rabbit having like a heart attack when she was scared (she died). She was also in the hutch with her husband when the dog (of the same owner) broke in at night. The dog killed the male and he had a clear indication of being ripped but the female was just dead.
I think there is a possibility of them being scared of something. A cat or even a raccoon. Did they spend that night inside the hutch or they had access into the run at night? I mean, if they were inside the hutch, and the hutch is not right on the ground, they should be safe and sound from even being scared but who knows. Cats can climb.
Another possibility would be some kind of environmental factor. Poisoning with something they ate or even inhaled? not sure, could someone be spraying any chemicals nearby? but this is unlikely as concentration wouldn't be very high where they were.

Rest in peace little ones.

Last edited:
No signs of anything getting in,cage & rabbits intact!no chance of poisining as we live in a secluded area.just very strange they both died right next to each other on the same night :(

sorry to about your sudden loss =0(

may they binky away over that little rainbow among our loved ones

I'm so sorry for your loss :( That sounds terrible! May they binky free forever. R.I.P little ones ❤

Very sorry for your loss. Rabbits can have heart attacks very easily, from as little as a shadow or noise that seems like a predator. Without a necropsy or evidence of any other physical problems, heart attack would be the best guess in my opinion.

Sorry for your loss💕 may they binky free over the rainbow bridge

This sounds terrible... Can't imagine what i would do it that happened to me :(

Latest posts

Back