Brushing.. What am I doing wrong?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
I have a satin, a rex mix and a baby those two had and no matter how or what I brush them with I can't get any hair off of them! The satin and the baby have such silky fur that the brush does absolutely nothing but they don't seem to be shedding as bad. But the rex mix is who I'm really finding a lot of hair in her poo. She doesn't have the Rex fur though it is longer.

I have tried every kind of brush and comb imaginable. I finally started using a human comb that seems to be working the best so far. The only way I get ANY hair at all off them is if I brush it up and forward a little bit, then back, which they hate! And I still get barely anything off of them.

What brush/comb and technique works the best? I'm worried about all of the hair they're ingesting.

Last edited:
Most of my buns have pretty rough hair, so combing it is pretty easily to remove it. However you may want to try one of these brushes

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1437939175.387057.jpg

The rubber makes the fur stick to it so it takes away fur well. It's painless for the rabbits (one rule I follow is I don't use brushes on rabbits that I wouldn't use on myself) and relatively cheap. Just look for a rubber dog brush in your local pet store and there should be one similar to that one.

I have 2 Rex rabbits, and I know exactly what you mean. The easiest way to groom Rex's is by using your finger and some water. Simply put some water on any finger and rub it along their fur like you are petting them. It will take up much of the fur- this process is going to have to be repeated a few times. Good luck!

I have 11 bunnies (2 are rex) I know the struggle! They all she'd like crazy and I have to groom them twice daily and I also pull some of the very lose hair off them (it doesn't hurt and it is already very lose) I told my vet about this and she said it was fine as long as I didn't pull the hair that isn't lose and it you do it lightly you can feel the lose hair :)

I've had it recommended to use a comb for dreadlocks, which you can find in beauty supply stores. The tines are really close together and would catch more hair.

I usually cut dreadlocks out (I never get dreadlocks but when I do) my bun marble (American fuzzy lop) get dreadlocks and I had to cut them out and his hair is growing back all good now :)

I'm not saying to use it on dreadlocks, that's just what it's made for. A youtuber who owns Satin Angoras uses that kind of comb on her rabbits, so I thought it might be good for rexs.

Latest posts

Back