Car trips, new house and new animals!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlazeBunnies

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am moving houses, we are moving about 40mins away onto a very large farm. We will have 3 horses, 6 sheep, 3 goats, 1 mini pig, 2 alpacas, 1 female calf, 2 donkeys and heaps of chickens

The animals above are being sold with the house so we will need to look after them. I currently have 11 bunnies, 11 kits, 1 guinea pig, 4 dogs, 4 hermit crabs and 3 birds.

My question is: can any of these animals give another animals any disease or illness? And also how can I make my current pets comfortable with moving and having a new environment with new sounds?

Any advice will be appreciated :)
Thanks

Since horses and the barn atmosphere contains lots of flys, that is the only thing with the rabbits that I would worry about. Are the rabbits indoor or outdoor rabbits?

Your other animals may take to liking the farm, as many animals do. Depending on what breeds of dogs you have (what are they exactly), they will most likely love all the room. I wouldn't worry about the hermit crabs or birds. Again, I think the horse flies would be your main concern. Good luck with everything- that is going to be lots of work!! You clearly love animals! Where your moving sounds a lot like my dream home 😉

We're moving out to a rural property (can't remember the exact location)

Hehhe it's my dream house too!

My bunnies are outside buns but have fly screen and mesh over there cages and they will be away from the barbs and stuff (close to the house).
Oh and my dogs are: husky/Rottweiler, Jack Russell, Maltese/****zu and pomerian (inside dog) .

I can't wait to move :)

Your husky/ rott. and JRT will love it!! And if your rabbits are close to the house, I wouldn't worry. The flies won't go that far from the barn.

Okay thanks... I just hate that I have to leave my current school and go to a new one and complete against my current school In wool sheep showing :(

Also I heard chickens can give rabbits a disease... I'm pretty sure it starts with c... Is this true?

We have no problem with the rabbits and chickens (and German shepherd, and cows!) Co-existing on my mom and dad's farm. In fact, the rabbits like to chase the chickens. ^_^ I've not noticed the chickens transmitting anything to the rabbits. ^_^

Hahah well my old boy rocky (husky cross rottie) likes to do that too although he is on the old side he still is very active and is like a father to the other 3💖

Thank god I was so worried about the chicken giving something to the buns, I heard it can be because your area is dirty and the chickens are dirty but these chickens are very clean and stuff :) thanks for all the advice and help really appreciate it

Also did you have your chickens with rabbits while they are playing outside? When I adopted two of my boys from Blacktown pound they were running around with roosters and I have been meaning to ask them if they can have run around time together and stuff :)

Every so often, the rabbits make a jailbreak. (Butterscotch is particularly keen on that..) our chickens are free range, so they hang out with everyone. Lol. Das Mädchen, the German shepherd, loves herding them to their coops... Lol. I've never really noticed the chickens minding the rabbits, mind you, we have wild rabbits too, so the chickens are used to them. If the chickens get to freaked, they just run, which makes the rabbits run more... so unless you have wonderful rabbits that are easy to catch when freed like that, just be careful that they can't break loose for good. Ellie is a pesky little beast to catch when she gets loose, Butterscotch is super easy to catch, and Dassy helps corner them both. She doesn't hurt them, just makes them "stay.... until the human gets here. ^_^ "

All my buns are pretty easy to catch 😊 I might see if the chickens are friendly... There is heaps of wilds out there too :( all my buns are honing to be in a wire rabbit proof fence (their hutches will be in there) so no wilds can get to them :)

Hahah well my old boy rocky (husky cross rottie) likes to do that too although he is on the old side he still is very active and is like a father to the other 3💖

Thank god I was so worried about the chicken giving something to the buns, I heard it can be because your area is dirty and the chickens are dirty but these chickens are very clean and stuff :) thanks for all the advice and help really appreciate it

Also did you have your chickens with rabbits while they are playing outside? When I adopted two of my boys from Blacktown pound they were running around with roosters and I have been meaning to ask them if they can have run around time together and stuff :)

Husky/rottie mix! I've never seen/heard of that! I'll have to google a pic :)

Yes he looks a lot like a German Shepherd 😊. U can tell he's got some Rottie in him tho. But he has the body of a husky.

Yeah and he's super strong :) he is like a guard dog (we didn't train him to be he's just protective) he will do a lap of the yard before he goes to sleep and he won't sleep on his bed he will sleep in front of the door and because my bedroom is like at the back of the house he will jump up onto my window seal in the morning and make sure I'm okay :) I love him (he's probably my fav... Since I grow up with him and stuff)

Yeah and he's super strong :) he is like a guard dog (we didn't train him to be he's just protective) he will do a lap of the yard before he goes to sleep and he won't sleep on his bed he will sleep in front of the door and because my bedroom is like at the back of the house he will jump up onto my window seal in the morning and make sure I'm okay :) I love him (he's probably my fav... Since I grow up with him and stuff)

That's so cute. Huskies and rotties are very protective. My cousins had a dog that was like that. When they were babies and slept in the same room, she would sleep beside the cribs. When their dad (my uncle) worked late, Maggie (the dog) would sit outside in front of the door and refuse to come inside until he got home. Whenever we are all at my grandparents (all my cousins and us) sleeping over, we all sleep in sleeping bags in the living room. Maggie would come in and there, watching us, until we settled down or fell asleep. She did this until she died last year. She was a great dog.

Latest posts

Back