Moving!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cseldes

Reaction score
Hi! I'm going to be moving out of state soon. It's about a 10-12 hour (depending on traffic and stops) drive to our new home. I'm not sure how my bun will do on such a long drive! The longest drive we've ever done was about 20 mins. The vet is about 6 minutes from my house and he pees in his carrier every time!

Advice please!!!

I plan to keep his harness on him so I can easily take him out to walk around a bit when I'm at a rest stop but thats really the only thing I have planned!

Its not really that complicated. Bring a bag of hay and food and a storage of water. Put hay in a corner of a carrier if a litter box fits put it in *may want to upgrade if not* have a food and water dish and maybe a puppy pee pad underneath and you could take your bunny iut but be careful of rest stops..there's dog feces,urine, & dogs not to mention other people that ould stress your bun out smelling so many unfamiliar scents at once.

A YouTuber called 101rabbits has a good video on her channel about moving with bunnies, you may want to take a look :) The link is below..

http://youtu.be/xdDuj2TpPQQ

Make sure your bun doesn't get stressed on the drive. Some of my bunnies don't mind sitting in the carrier and travelling but I have a few who absolutely hate it and stress.

Also give your bunny hay and water throughout the trip.

Hope I helped :D Goodluck with the move

Everything I was going to say has been said :) the YouTuber 101rabbits is great :)

Also you said you were going to walk him around be very careful as wild rabbits could have been there and your bunny could catch myxo or calci.

Please don't put a food and water bowl in the carrier with your bunny. If something were to happen like having to stop suddenly, or worst case scenario getting into an accident, it will be even worse for your bunny since the bowls will fly through the air and injure your bunny. Provide water from a small water bottle attached to the front of the carrier (even if they don't usually use one, at least it's there, and try to show your bunny how it works before hand). Definitely put hay in the carrier, just loose at one end is fine. Try to make the surface non slip if you can, a carpet tile covered by a fleece or similar would work. Make sure you shield the carrier from the sun when it's in the car, because it can heat up easily. Also, the thing to be most concerned with is dehydration, offer fresh leafy greens (that your bunny is used to) throughout the drive to aid with hydration. If they won't eat or drink while driving, you have to make frequent rest stops to offer food and water.

If you have the time and haven't done so already, I also suggest researching a new vet near your new house and getting in contact with them to set up your bunny's details. Drives can be stressful and if your bunny needs urgent vet care after you arrive, you want to know where you can go immediately without having to research first.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I didn't realize walking him at a rest stop would be such a bad idea! Here I thought it would give him the freedom to get out and move around a bit!

I don't know about your rabbit, but mine LOVE the car. I would bring them on the trip in a box or roomy carrying cage (I always use a box). Then I would but their litter box (if they have one) in there, and a bag with treats, a water bottle, and maybe some toys. Keeping the harness on your rabbit is a great idea. My one rabbit always wears her harness whenever she is out of the cage. Good luck with the move!!

When taking my buns long distance I use a plastic pet carrier and put litter pellets on the bottom to absorb any pee and a layer of hay on top for them to eat, I also use a sipper bottle just so they have water available.

Please don't put a food and water bowl in the carrier with your bunny. If something were to happen like having to stop suddenly, or worst case scenario getting into an accident, it will be even worse for your bunny since the bowls will fly through the air and injure your bunny. Provide water from a small water bottle attached to the front of the carrier (even if they don't usually use one, at least it's there, and try to show your bunny how it works before hand). Definitely put hay in the carrier, just loose at one end is fine. Try to make the surface non slip if you can, a carpet tile covered by a fleece or similar would work. Make sure you shield the carrier from the sun when it's in the car, because it can heat up easily. Also, the thing to be most concerned with is dehydration, offer fresh leafy greens (that your bunny is used to) throughout the drive to aid with hydration. If they won't eat or drink while driving, you have to make frequent rest stops to offer food and water.

If you have the time and haven't done so already, I also suggest researching a new vet near your new house and getting in contact with them to set up your bunny's details. Drives can be stressful and if your bunny needs urgent vet care after you arrive, you want to know where you can go immediately without having to research first.

Hope that helps :)
You made a video on it if Im correct :) *it was great btw*

Latest posts

Back