Indoor bunny cage help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cseldes

Reaction score
I currently have one of those diy storage cube cages for my bun. It's huge and he hardly uses it, he almost never goes up to the second level. I'm moving out of state soon and I feel like this cage is too big to deal with and also unnecessary.

I'm really not much of a do-it-yourselfer and I'd like to keep costs down. Any idea where i can get a new cage for my bun thats not too expensive and not too small for him? He's caged most of the day when I'm at work or out of the house so I want him to have plenty of play space. I was thinking of just using a bunny play pen but I'm not sure of the sturdiness or longevity of that idea.

Help!!

(Theodore is a med sized holland lop, about 5 lbs)

Those are great but I'm worried about the floor. We'll be staying at my parent's house for a couple months and of course the room has white carpet! Maybe a chair mat?

A tarp can be put down or if you have Some tile you can put them down. Even carpet squares you can put over the existing carpet?

Dog crates are good :) I have one in my room just incase I ever need to keep a close eye on my buns over night.

You could have a dog crate and attach an exercise pen :)

I'd go for a large play pen, and get an off cut of lino big enough to fit the bottom of the pen. Then you don't have to worry about the carpet

For me fog crates for a large bunny is bad/cruel because the bunny has barley any space and it could end up hurting them as they have no space for litter box, food bowls, water etc...

Also they can be expensive I also have a medium dog crate that I use to use for my dog buddy (when his legs got really bad) this helped to limit exercise and stuff but it's a medium sized one and my

(Sorry didn't mean to press reply)

Continued:
My medium sized mini lop had limited room in there so I would suggest it and if you go for a large they can be very expensive! It cost me $234 for the medium sized (it is a good quality one)

We recently built our cubes into pens, cheaper and easy enough to move around. I put a linoleum remnant underneath in case of accidents. The nice thing about using my cube panels is that in the spot where there are ledges, I can put a panel on top to deter jumping out. View attachment 15928

I love your hutch! I want to build something like that but I just don't have enough space for it 😭😭 They also don't sell NIC cubes where I live.

If you don't have enough room for a cage like that ^ you should keep the bunny outside as I think you go to work and during the day he is going to be cooped up all day (unless you trust him/her a lot) other then that you will need to trust him/her a lot or find some room where you can house him

If you don't have enough room for a cage like that ^ you should keep the bunny outside as I think you go to work and during the day he is going to be cooped up all day (unless you trust him/her a lot) other then that you will need to trust him/her a lot or find some room where you can house him

My bun lives in a dresser converted into a hutch, and on sunny days is outside in a cage. She's also outside in my room for 10-15 hours a day.

Just the hutch feels too small sometimes, so looking for bigger options.

I use a dog kennel,I think they're fine, up to 10# any larger than that I would try something else, as long as they get lots of outside time

My bun lives in a dresser converted into a hutch, and on sunny days is outside in a cage. She's also outside in my room for 10-15 hours a day.

Just the hutch feels too small sometimes, so looking for bigger options.

Why not order on Amazon :) or wherever you live C&C pen/cages are always a good investment :D

I love your hutch! I want to build something like that but I just don't have enough space for it [emoji24][emoji24] They also don't sell NIC cubes where I live.

Thank you! We are in the middle of slowly bonding these two little stinkers. Eventually, I want to combine the two pens and possibly add a few more so they share the whole room. I am not sure I trust them with the baseboards so I plan to keep a pen for a while. This room was our dining room but it's pretty small for a family of 5. It's more like a converted covered porch/breakfast nook. The only thing I don't like about it is that I prefer the buns to be out in the living room with the family, but then they don't get as much space.

I love your hutch! I want to build something like that but I just don't have enough space for it [emoji24][emoji24] They also don't sell NIC cubes where I live.

Thank you! We are in the middle of slowly bonding these two little stinkers. Eventually, I want to combine the two pens and possibly add a few more so they share the whole room. I am not sure I trust them with the baseboards so I plan to keep a pen for a while. This room was our dining room but it's pretty small for a family of 5. It's more like a converted covered porch/breakfast nook. The only thing I don't like about it is that I prefer the buns to be out in the living room with the family, but then they don't get as much space.

Anyway, I second the suggestion above about seeing if you can order the NIC cubes on Amazon or somewhere. They are so versatile and cleanup is pretty simple with them set up as pens on the floor.

Thank you! I highly recommend the NIC cubes if you can find them online. Inexpensive, versatile, not too horrible to look at, and cleanup is easy like this.

Latest posts

Back