Rabbit Mating Frequently (continuously)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armom

Reaction score
My male rabbit was alone for 1 year then i have decided to bring a female rabbit for him.. Then today i have just brought that female rabbit.. My Male rabbit is not stopping mating with her.!! What is the problem?? He is sometimes stopping but again after a few minutes he starts mating with her...

WHAT TO DO?

If your rabbits aren't spayed or neutered, this is not surprising, I'm not sure what you were expecting would happen. They will mate repeatedly until the female gets tired of it and refuses him (at which point he may still chase after her constantly). You need to separate them otherwise she will become pregnant (if she hasn't already). Separate them and keep them separate. If you want to keep both and have them able to run around with each other and live together, you need to get them both desexed, and slowly start introducing them to be able to bond them properly.

If your rabbits aren't spayed or neutered, this is not surprising, I'm not sure what you were expecting would happen. They will mate repeatedly until the female gets tired of it and refuses him (at which point he may still chase after her constantly). You need to separate them otherwise she will become pregnant (if she hasn't already). Separate them and keep them separate. If you want to keep both and have them able to run around with each other and live together, you need to get them both desexed, and slowly start introducing them to be able to bond them properly.

Will there be any problem because of this? It doesnt matter if they give birth.. But will there be any life risk?

It's not a good idea to leave them together. For one thing, you won't know when the doe will give birth if you allow them to continue mating. You are also putting both rabbits at risk by not separating them. When the doe has had enough of him don't be surprised if she attacks him. Bucks have been castrated by does before!

You cannot keep them together even if you want babies. The female will start refusing to mate and will become defensive towards the male as the pregnancy continues, so they may fight and hurt each other. The male may also hurt the babies after they are born. They need to be separated in either case, and I don't recommend letting them breed, there's truth to the saying "breed like rabbits" as the babies can become fertile from as young as 12 weeks of age.

Keeping them together is a very bad idea! Unless you have a proper reason for breeding - don't do it at all. The others are correct, your rabbits will not stop breeding. It'll cause fights and before you know it, there will be heaps of bunnies! If I were you, I would seperate ASAP.

Thanks for replying friends.. But if i separate them the male rabbit searches for her and wants her back.. :-/
And how to leave them at home then? Will i release them from cage one at a time? And how many times a week or month will i allow them to mate?

I think today they mated more than 20 times -_-

If you want to house them together, you'll need to look at getting them fixed.

Hormones make rabbits unpredictable and dangerous to each other. I know you probably didn't know what you were getting into when you brought your female home, but putting them together, even for "playtime" if they aren't bonded is not fair. If you want to keep them together you should fix them both and they would make great companions-and be safe together. Also, before you consider breeding them just keep in mind the overabundance of rabbits that currently need homes, many of which are sitting in a shelter waiting for someone right as you read this. I understand this one pregnancy may have been accidental but you have the power and knowledge now to prevent future pregnancies.

Hormones make rabbits unpredictable and dangerous to each other. I know you probably didn't know what you were getting into when you brought your female home, but putting them together, even for "playtime" if they aren't bonded is not fair. If you want to keep them together you should fix them both and they would make great companions-and be safe together. Also, before you consider breeding them just keep in mind the overabundance of rabbits that currently need homes, many of which are sitting in a shelter waiting for someone right as you read this. I understand this one pregnancy may have been accidental but you have the power and knowledge now to prevent future pregnancies.

So its better to spay/neuter them? And is this a safe process?
My both rabbit want each other so bad. I just separated them.

What is your intended purpose for your rabbits? Are they pets and do you want the male and female to be able to live together, or are you going to be breeding rabbits? What country are you in? Whether or not spaying/neutering is safe, will depend on where you are and if you have access to experienced rabbit vets.

Your male is probably the only one that wants to be with her but this is almost a give in. Of course he wants to be with her but it is NOT the best thing for your new bunny. Imagine how she feels being bred 20 plus times. I'd be annoyed and just wait for it because she will get tired of it to after a couple of days.

I have seen a doe attack a male and his testicles. Its not a fun problem to have and one that you are putting animals in danger of experiencing. For the safety of both rabbits keep them separated.

Baby rabbits are cute but not always fun. You have to find homes for the babies IF they live and are healthy

Like said before separate them.

Babies are quite hard to raise of your a newbie at it! If the mum rejects them will you have time to raise them? Do you have enough money to take her to an emergency vet if she has birthing problems and these babies will probably end up in shelters unwanted and sad... Be a responsible owner and fix and/ or neuter them. Please don't breed

You soar before how many times a week or month... Based off this I believe you know barley anything about breeding and raising rabbits, I suggest searching it up as you are probably expecting babies now. How old are the rabbits and what type (just curious) :)

So its better to spay/neuter them? And is this a safe process?

My both rabbit want each other so bad. I just separated them.

You could keep their cages next to each other until you fix them.
If you take young, healthy rabbits to an vet who is experienced in caring for/spaying them, fixing rabbits is generally very safe. Emphasis on the experienced part of that though, because some vets that are willing to treat rabbits aren't as educated as they could be on them.

They need to be separated. If you want them to live together, you're going to have to get them spayed/neutered, just like everyone here is telling you. Eventually they will fight and it's not a pretty thing to see.

Latest posts

Back