Water intake

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumper110814

Reaction score
So before my bunny thumper was neutered and limit pellet intake... He didn't drink much water... About 1 cup of water. Now he drinks at least 4 cups and pees all the time. Feels like I can't seem to put enough litter before its soaked again. Is his water drinking excessive?? How much water does a 10month 5 pound bunny need? I assume unlimited but if so does anyone have any trouble keeping his litter box in good condition before changing it the next day?

I would take him in. That seems excessive... It could be bladder/uti issues.
What temp is your home?

That does seem excessive. I would have him checked by a rabbit savvy vet. I would want urinary problems checked. A blood test may also need to be done to check kidney function, and possibly xrays.

Thumper started taking Sulfa Ped every 12 hours since Thursday... Not sure if it's helping yet. We'll see.

Forgot to add he seems sleepy... I'm not sure if that med makes him tired?

I haven't heard of that med, it is possible... Maybe ask your vet over the phone :) they are usually the best bet.

I've never heard of a sulfa antibiotic causing drowsiness. If this really does seem to be a side effect from the medication, I would contact your vet immediately about it. I would be concerned that it might be causing an allergic reaction or there might be an additive in the syrup that is causing problems. If it is a suspension made for people, then they are many times made with artificial sweeteners, some of which can be harmful to rabbits. You will need to find out what the ingredients are in it. In particular you need to make sure there isn't any xylitol, as this has been found to be very dangerous for animals to have. You also don't want it to have sucralose or aspartame.

Latest posts

Back