Bunny acting strange

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlazeBunnies

Reaction score
Hi so I have many rabbits but my friendliest would be storm. Yesterday I put my hand in to feed him
And he bit me... It didn't hurt and didn't bleed much and he ran away and don't come downstairs until I was out of sight. I have never done anything to hurt him or my other bunnies and it only started that night he was fine in the morning. Today I went to fill hi water up and I opened the top door and he bolted out of it like a bullet and then wouldn't come up stairs :( I'm really worried as he usually is pushing open the doors to lick and kiss me...
Has anyone had this happen to there bun if so what caused it and how did you fix it? Thanks in advance

My bite :
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1436318691.081051.jpg

abnormal behaviour is often a sign of

1. hormones kicking in
2. something out of kilter medically speaking
3. dissatisfaction with the pecking order.

you'll need to sort out which it is.

My bunny us also now becomeing frightened of me :( but I believe its because his hormones are kicking in

I had this happen once when my rabbit was scared, but it was a one time thing. My husband startled the bun when putting his food in and got a bite in return. Are you sure your rabbit is aware you're coming towards him/her to put food in? They sometimes sleep with their eyes open, so you may want to talk to the bun to let it know you're coming before sticking your hand in.

its defentily not hormones... he is 1 1/2 years old and has been a father before
he knows I'm coming because i always say: stormie food time (in a soft voice) and in return he ttys to pouch the doors open.
i might take him to the vet I'm really worried :(

I would say something in his environment is frightening him and biting you was a defense response, or there is a medical issue causing him discomfort and/or pain, that is causing the change of behavior. With him bolting out of his cage, I would think him being scared is the more likely of the two. though something like an eyesight problem could evoke the same sort of response. Check for anything new that has been placed or changed in his environment, or any strange sounds or smells. It could be as simple as a pair of shoes on the floor where they wouldn't normally be, furniture moved about, a new cleaner, a new pet, etc. If you can, maybe try moving him to a different room to see if that helps.

If you can't narrow it down to an environmental cause, I would definitely have him checked over by your vet right away. especially if his condition worsens at all.

You will also need to keep a close eye on his eating and drinking, as a stressed rabbit will often stop eating.

he eats, drinks and poops normally. nothing new has been added except a new doe but she has been here for about 2 weeks and he has bred with her. he is an outside hutch but i have sourced out everything and there is no new bugs or anything new. he will be going to the vet soon. he has started acting normal now but he is constantly sniffing me and is twitching his nose a lot now which is not normal for him.

If he is sniffing you more than normal, maybe it is just a new or unusual smell on you that is scaring him :) My sister came over to meet my bunny and he is usually pretty ok with new people but he was skittish around her because she smelled like her dogs and cats.

Latest posts

Back