Hay and allergies question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
So we saw our allergist, no allergy to bunnies (yay!), but hay to grass (boo).

Allergist says we have to avoid all grass-based hays. Is there such a thing for bunnies? We want to get one so badly, but if we can't have a grass-based hay in our home, what else can we have or do to feed a bunny?

Wondering what our options are.

So we saw our allergist, no allergy to bunnies (yay!), but hay to grass (boo).

This should say no allergy to bunnies, but an allergy to grass...

I couldn't figure out how to edit this post after I submitted it :)

What about in a different form? Google oxbow Timothy stacks or Timothy cakes. They're supposed to be way less dusty. Grass hay is the number one most important dietary staple and they just have to eat it.

What about in a different form? Google oxbow Timothy stacks or Timothy cakes. They're supposed to be way less dusty. Grass hay is the number one most important dietary staple and they just have to eat it.

I'll call the allergist and ask if that's an option, I had heard of cubes, but not these ones!

So there's no other hay options that aren't grass based? I didn't know if there was any from wheat, or other forms? I read alfalfa is clover based, but thats only for baby buns, right?

Thanks again, we want a bunny so badly, but are trying to follow allergist recommendations at the same time.

Another question - is oat hay grass, or oats? I read oat hay is okay for buns...wondering if this might be an option? Thanks!

Yes alfalfa is a legume and not suitable for adult rabbits. There are a few options for grass hay that might work for you, and I hope you find one that fits your situation. I myself am allergic to rabbits, took allergy shots for years with some effect but wasn't cured per say, and now I am on allergy medications for maintenance. It's the price I pay for living with my favourite things in the world :)

I've found orchard grass and oat hay to be much less dusty for me as well as less sneezing from my chronic upper respiratory bun. The stacks are an option however they are expensive and if you plan to break them up to expand them or so you don't have to use it all at once- they are super dusty compared to just hay. I've tried free samples and would try to separate them so I could use it in their box and it was like the broken tiny pieces of hay from the very end of the bale that I always end up tossing.
Unfortunately buns need grass hay :(
I can't imagine being allergic to hay or my buns! :(

Before getting a bunny, you can try purchasing a soft, non-dusty hay (orchard, Bermuda) and keeping it in your home to see if you react. If so, you can try a different variety and see if that works. Long-strand grass hay is absolutely essential for rabbits- personally, I think the harvest stacks aren't a suitable substitute, not to mention that they're MORE dusty.

I think the harvest stacks aren't a suitable substitute, not to mention that they're MORE dusty.

Can you please tell me what harvest stacks are? Do you mean the cubes they sell? I have read that the cubes aren't the best option, because they need the long strands of hay

I'm not very familiar with the different types of hay yet :)

Can you please tell me what harvest stacks are? Do you mean the cubes they sell? I have read that the cubes aren't the best option, because they need the long strands of hay

I'm not very familiar with the different types of hay yet :)

It's similar to cubes- a "stack" of compressed hay. And yes, they do need the long strands.:)

Latest posts

Back