Is this runny eyes? Pls help I'm worried.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarTheBunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just adopted my bun and I noticed a few days ago something hard on my buns right eye. It was some mucusy thing and I thought maybe it would go away but yesterday i noticed that his eye looked like it was tearing up and it looked inflammed. That's when I started to worry, and I knew what it was but still dismissed it. Now today I came home to one mucus literally coming out of his eye. This is defenitely runny eyes right? Bacterial infection? Right now I am planning to take him to the vet. Should I take him? He is also getting neutered in two weeks time but I don't want to hold it off to worsen it for him. Please I need some help with this, planning to go this evening hopefully or tomorrow evening.

POSSIBLY stress related. I'd give him a few days to acclimatize to his new surroundings. if in two months it isn't clearing up then I'd start to worry and bring him in for a check up. Just keep the eye clean... don't MESS with it. Just once a day use a warm tea bag to clean it up. :)

White eye discharge does mean there is some sort of bacterial infection. I wouldn't leave it, as it most likely will worsen, and if there is a scratch to the eye itself that is causing it, you don't want to delay treatment. It may also be that something is stuck under the eyelid causing the irritation and infection. A blocked tear duct or conjunctivitis are other possible causes.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/weepy.pdf

It's hard to tell from the photos, might be nothing, the last rabbit I took home had slightly teary eyes and it went away on it's own (most likely the change in environment)... I still took him to the vet, as I like to have the animals I take home examined to make sure there is no problem and I'm a terrible worrywart when it comes to them. But, 'mucusy' doesn't sound too good. If you're worried, go to your vet. It is also better to clear off any possible problem before neutering, as it's never a good idea to operate a rabbit with an infection.

Well I heard optrex eye bath works well with small animal eye infections and gave it a go yesterday. It is actually clearing up, his eye doesn't looked as inflammed, less discharge and it seems to have cleaned his eye but I will still go to the vet because he is about to get neutered in two weeks time and I take Aki's advice about operating on an infected rabbit.

Back