Peeling skin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyChic

Reaction score
Hi there.. I'm new here just have a question
My momma bunny had babies a fee days ago and now one of them has it's skin peeling. I've never seen this before. It's her 3rd litter and she's usually a good mom. This litter however had 8!! Babes which is kinda a lot for a lil bunny like her. She usually has 4-6. Maybe he's he runt and not getting enough milk? Bc there's so many? I wonder if I held momma and put the lil one on her if that'd help? Thanks in advance for any advice

Do you have another lactating doe? If so give her 2 or 3 kits so all the kits get milk and grow healthy. Maybe take that kit to the vet to make sure it is healthy I have never had that happen to any of my kits.... Can you post a pic so we can see?

I'm not sure what you mean by peeling skin? Do you mean it is loose or is the skin flakey, or is there a cut or scratch?
With runts you can try to "flip the doe" put the doe on your lap and try to let the baby suckle. But CAUTION if you do flip your doe do it sitting on the floor and have someone help you, some does hate being flipped over and kick the babies and they can go flying or be scratched by the doe. Another thing people try to feed runts is to hold the doe upright in your lap and put the baby underneath, but you also have to be really careful because the does feet can still injure the baby. Also, mother rabbits can hold their milk and refuse to release it until they are ready so sometimes even if the doe lets you put the baby on her she may not release the milk.

Here's a video but I think the person should have kept her hand over the baby at all times, just incase the doe suddenly kicks or jump up, also sit on the floor or a bed- low to the ground.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYmNUhADVY[/ame]

Are you seeing flakes or dandruff? If that's what it is and not the actually skin peeling off the muscle then dandruff can be normal in young kits and it will go away in a few days.

Back