questions about neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauraeli

Reaction score
Coco got neutered yesterday (he had started spraying me during his courtship dances, yay)

Anyway I was wondering about the neutering technique itself. I have been unable to find the incision site, although I havent poked around in his fur. I am actually surprised because aside from the deflated scrotal sacs, it does not appear that he has had surgery at all. Not even a noticeable shaved area. The vet tech that I talked to when I went to pick him up said that there was no stitches or glue used and that it just closes up and heals by itself. Is that typical for a neuter?

Not that I have ever heard of. They have to make an incision and remove the testicles from somewhere. Techniques used would be scrotal incisions where the incision and removal of testicles is directly from the scrotal sacs, pre scrotal which is an incision just above the genitals on the belly, and abdominal further up the belly. If the belly isn't shaved at all, then it would have to be a scrotal neuter.
http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.co...techniques-proceedings?id=&pageID=1&sk=&date=

All neuters that I have had done have been pre scrotal and have had internal stitches and glue on the outside.

Hmm very interesting. Is the scrotal approach just as good as the prescrotal? I used the same veterinarian that is used by the Wisconsin House Rabbit Society, so Im assuming they know what they are doing.

I just took a peek at the area and still cannot see the incision. His scrotal sacs seem to be getting more furry by the day lol so I suppose that means they were shaved for the surgery. There is some swelling today but Im assuming that is normal. Coco is pretty much back to himself already. And he just took his meds without me having to restrain or force him :) He licked it right out of the syringe. Im proud of him.

I believe the pre scrotal neuter is the better one because it won't cause the swelling that a scrotal neuter can, which can sometimes lead to complications occurring. Though both are commonly used, so maybe just a preference of the vet doing it.

Since your bun is having some swelling, it sounds like your vet did the scrotal neuter. Some inflammation can be normal, but you do want to keep an eye on it to make sure no infection develops as well as making sure your bun doesn't try and chew on anything down there. Though if you can't find an incision, that should help limit any chances of chewing anything open.

It's always nice when they cooperate with their medicine. One of my buns used to love to get his medicine too.

Still swollen today. I just gave him his last dose of pain meds and we are all out now. I am afraid that since he is still swollen down there, he might be in pain when this dose wears off, plus I am concerned that he does not seem to be drinking any water. I gave him a watermelon rind today and last night I wet down his salad greens. He is acting normally, but anyone have any idea why he might not be thirsty, or how I can get him to drink water? I tried putting it in a bowl for him and it didnt help. The vet's office is closed for the weekend so I cant call about it.

does anyone know what you can give bunnies for pain? Does it mean he is in pain if he is sitting laying down with his ears against his back? he doesnt usually do that

Hes probably not thirsty because youre adding water to his greens.

Actually a lot of scrotal neuters are done with no glue to sutures on the outside and a few minutes of squeezi f the site shut with fingers and its usually good to go. Clinic i was at did the boy cats this way and of hundreds i watched get done, less then 5 cats came back needing it to be glued after but those were ones whos owners allowed them to lick the site.

He likely wont need another dose of pain meds. Just make sure he keeps eating and drinking (or eating wet greens) and the area remains happy looking.

Latest posts

Back