Neat trick to beat the heat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivythelionhead

Reaction score
Hi I just wanted to add a neat trick which I saw the other day at a petstore which I thought would be super helpful for hot days for your pets, some rabbits may not like this but my Ivy loves it, and I'm also aware that I'm not the first person to come up with this idea. I saw this trick in a petstore the other day and I've been using it ever since you take a water bottle and put some ice and water in it and just lay it in your bunnies cage and they can curl up next to it,my lionhead rabbit Ivy loves it especially since she gets so hot cause of all her hair, anyway if it works for you great if not hopefully you will find something else that will.:big kiss:

That's a great tip! I usually have 2 or 3 on rotation during summer, so the buns always have a nice cold one available. My mini lop loves to lick the condensation off the outside, too. Next summer I'm going to get some tiles and pop them in the freezer, to give them something a bit bigger to lie on too. :)

Personally I love this idea but my bunnies...not so much. I put it on their sleeping mat and it quickly gets rolled or shoved away. I tried the tile thing and they avoid it. Finally I just wet their ears and head a bit and suffer the hateful stares that follow. Also I mix half apple juice half water and make ice cubes for them. Cali really likes those but Steve waits for a better treat. Sigh rabbits sure are picky little things...

my two are inside bunnies and I guess that they don't have that problem w/ it being cool from the A/C

but its a cool trick and one way to keep them cool =0)

Thanx you, I think I'll try the tile trick then maybe the ice cube thing Ivy is a lionhead so she has tons of hair even after I brush her. I had a fan pushing hot air out but my mom got mad at me and said its a waste of air using it for Ivy and my GP's so now I'm looking for alternative ideas to keep them cool.

I use the frozen tiles, but they don't stay cool for very long, so you'll want to have a couple in rotation.

For the frozen bottles, I use the plastic oj bottles that are square so they don't roll.

That said, my rabbits are also indoors. I still use the tiles and frozen bottles in the summer since we live in the desert. Summertimes are always in triple digits, so the house is often kept around 83-85F (still 30 degrees cooler than outside). :sunshine:

Latest posts

Back