Best Pellet Brands?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKM

Reaction score
So, I've been using Oxbow since the dawn of time. My pair (3 years, 8 months) get 1/4 cup of Oxbow adult and 1/8 cup of Oxbow young daily. I have tried using all adult, but they both have trouble keeping on weight and I find that the only way for them to stay at healthy (but still quite lean) is to give the small amount of alfalfa pellet daily. In addition, their coats have seemed much healthier after adding it. My 5 week old baby gets unlimited access to Purina Show, as that's what the breeder was feeding and I haven't begun the transition to Oxbow. However, after doing a bit of digging, I've discovered that Oxbow really doesn't have the best ratios? Many people recommend it, so I assumed it was okay back when I got my first rabbits. Does anyone have any suggestions for other high-quality pellets I can try? Cost isn't arbitrary, but I'm willing to pay extra for the health of my babies. I really want to try Living World Green, but I can't seem to find it in my country. I am highly considering Sherwood Forest, as I love the idea of a grain/soy free pellet as it really does line up with the diet of a wild rabbit better. I once bought a sample for my first rabbits, which we all loved for its quality, but I didn't feed it long enough to see any long term results. If anyone has any input or experience with any particular brand, it would be very helpful.

I use castlereagh feeds and mix it with jack rabbit pellets. My rabbits love this they get 1/2 each. The vet has said that it is a great mix. They also get 2 handfuls of oaten hay, one in the morning one in the afternoon. :)

The castlereagh is wheat-based. From what I know, wheat really isn't the best for rabbits to be eating, especially in large quantities. My two are pets, so they do require a less "high-energy" food than that. I can't seem to find the Jack brand- could you post a link or list of ingredients?

I considered going pellet-less for a while, but was much too worried about the macros. However, being an advocate of a whole foods diet, I'd prefer that the small amount of pellets my rabbits do get are of the best quality possible. A pellet free of soy and wheat seems ideal unless anyone has a reason for why they should be included in an altered adult rabbit's diet.:)

I forgot to mention that I'm in the United States, so many brands are not available to me.:)

At the moment, my rabbits are being fed Bermuda and Orchard grass hay. Would switching them to a variet with more seed heads help with keeping on weight? They are good hay eaters and get 4-6 cups of veggies per day. They're just extremely active.

Have you tried ordering my via Amazon? I know that's how I get various bun things since it's hard to get ahold of here in the states. I can't be any actual help as my bun didn't get pellets just fresh salads!

Here's a great site that compares various pellet brands. It is a UK site, but still has a few brands that are available in the US.

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

There is one link for adult food and another for juvenile food so check the top of the page to see which one you are viewing.

Also, in case you weren't aware, the nutrition recommendations for fixed house rabbits is quite different from breeding/breeder rabbits. Fixed pet rabbits require lower percentages of protein (12-14%) and, of course, the higher the fiber, the better.

Ah, thanks Blue eyes- I've been searching for that chart. I think I'll make the switch to Sherwood, at least to try it out.

After seeing that chart I'm ordering Sherwood as well when i need to get pellets next.

I also use Sherwood Forest. It is the freshest, greenest pellet I've seen. :blueribbon:

Some RO members have had rabbits resistant to switching from a different brand, but I've not had any difficulty with my rabbits. :eats:
They will send free samples, if I recall.

Latest posts

Back