Building a cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtothis

Reaction score
I've had my rabbit for over a month now, he has a store bought cage. However, I've been thinking about building a C&C cage since he needs more space. Any suggestions, ideas would be very helpful. I don't know where to start or how much money I'd need for everything!

Price can vary drastically depending on where you buy your wire cubes from, flooring options, borders, trim, etc. If in the US, I found the best price was Stor 6 cube unit, with pick up at Sears/Kmart stores, though I was a bit disappointed the last box I got, the panels were a bit warped.

I needed to use foam flooring mats for mine, so was a bit more expensive for those. C&C are nice though, because you can customize it to exactly what you need in a specific space and build upwards.

This is what mine currently looks like. It has changed and expanded over time.

P1010699 (640x480).jpg

I've never built a C&C cage, however I am currently in the process of building one from an old cupboard. If you're looking to build a cheap cage, I'd suggest looking at other things as well as C&C cages. The costs of mine has only been $15 from a garage sale for the dresser, and $30 for a large role of off cut lino for the flooring, and also some rabbit wire (which I had around the house so not sure of the price.) If you want some hutch inspiration I'd check out pinterest or this other thread http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=83446 Which has hutches built by other people here. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Also another thing, looking up 101 Rabbits on Youtube she has a good C&C cage build (I'll post the link later if I find it)

Thanks ! These are really nice cages. The only problem I have is that I don't really have a lot of space to build a large cage, he spends a lot of time outside of his cage anyway, so I'm not sure how many cubes I'd use.

Ours all have a 30 x 30 hutch and we have one bedroom that is theirs, with a child gate and they all get 4 hours out each day and out overnight on a rotating basis every 5 days. If he is getting out a sufficient amount of time and you have a bunny proof area, I see no need to do any other construction. We also have a playpen Nancy used whenever she took one to her classroom.(collapsible)

For the boxes from kmart, there are 23 panels to a box. Each panel is about 14x14 in. So figure out the length by width of the area you will be using, then see how many panels it will take to cover that area. Multiple that by each level of panels you expand upwards, then calculate the amount of panels you would need for a roof. Also if you are using the wire panels to construct shelves, you need to figure that in as well.

If you google rabbit/bunny condo, you can also find some tutorials on how to build some. Here's one.
http://rabbitcondo.com/

Here's the video I was talking about, it might help :)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrm424k-b78[/ame]

My condo is actually a bit of a crazy DIY, as I actually built it out of two xpens rather than grids. If your rabbit is out most of the day, I would see no problem in having a multi-leveled 2x4. My pair, despite having free range of a room all the time, do really enjoy jumping on their levels.:)

Latest posts

Back