Neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasingHailee

Reaction score
I have a Rex rabbit named Sirius, he was born 03/13/15 which makes him almost 4 months old. He'll be exactly 4 months old on my 17th birthday :D

What I have questions about, is whether or not I should get him neutered. I've read so many posts about rabbits dying or being so antisocial and mean after a neuter that they had to be put down, and that's the last thing I want for my little bun!

Any comments or stories that could help lean me one way or the other? Thanks!

Yes yes and YES definitely neuter your bun when you can. Although many rabbits can have negative effects the MAJORITY are postive no humping or aggresivness which is a A+ in my book :D Hope I helped XOXO Chester and Blueberry I'm in the process of trying to neuter my buns but theyrr so pricey :c I also have a rex :3

Many negative behavours come from the hormones of adolescence and are actually fixed by nuetering, though you still have to wait a couple of months for the hormones to leave the bunny's body. In top of this, if your bunny is unaltered and you don't breed him he will be one frustrated little guy! He will be subject to testicular cancer as well.

I've never heard of someone having trouble with their rabbit because of a nueter, and find it apalling that someone would put a rabbit down for such reasons.

No matter what you decide, you and your rabbit are in a commited relationship now, and you owe it to him to work with him to understand his behaviours and provide him a happy home. Good luck and may your future be full of binkies and happy bunny flops!

Rabbits are delicate little creatures and putting one under GA is risky, but that's why you need a rabbit savvy veterinarian as opposed to a regular dog/cat vet. Even if you don't neuter you'll need a rabbit savvy vet for when problems inevitably arise.
Un-neutered buns spray and mark territory and as stated above get frustrated if they can't mate.
Antisocial buns happen just as antisocial people happen, they just take extra time to get to know and bond but when it happens it is amazing, and the bun may just be a bun bun and not a people bun-in which case neutering is best as there isn't a need to add to the rabbit population w/ rescues being so full and unneutered buns have been known to fight one another sometimes fatally.
Best of luck either way!
We'd love to see your little fella *hint hint!*

I have almost 200 pictures and videos of him doing "cute things" I thought it was because I was in that "New Pet Owner" phase, but it's just because I take a lot of pictures :p

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

I don't regret neutering Chewy at all. Its been 5 weeks and his personality is blooming. Just be sure to find a rabbit savvy vet. That's the key. I was scared because chewy was barely 2 lbs when I neutered him but he came through fine.

As the others have said, any surgery comes with risk, it's a matter of weighing up whether it's worth the risk. Since neuters are a simple, non-invasive surgery, I say it's also worth the risk (unless your bunny has other issues that make it more risky). If you're particularly worried about it, you can also have the vet run some blood work prior to surgery to check organ function etc to make sure your bunny has the best chance possible :)

Based on my experience, the only reason I would get a boy bun neutered is if I planned on bonding him with another rabbit or he is an indoor rabbit displaying excessive hormonal behavior(spraying, humping, marking, aggression, etc). If he was a well behaved happy boy and I had no plans on bonding him, then I probably wouldn't risk a neuter. But this is just me offering an opinion for an owner with only one boy bun and no plans on getting another. I myself have 10 rabbits, and all are spayed and neutered.

Most of my current boy buns were very friendly, affectionate, happy boys before being neutered, then after their neuter they are more subdued and not quite as spunky and friendly. I just had my last boy bun neutered. He was just the sweetest little guy, and now he is still a very sweet boy, but not as interested and affectionate as he used to be with me. But saying that, I still would have had him neutered even had I known that beforehand, as he was on his own and I wanted him to be able to be with his bunny family. He is now bonded with his mom and siblings, and I am very happy to see him be able to snuggle up with them and not be alone anymore, but it does also make me feel a bit sad not to see him as spunky and happy as he used to be.

With girl buns, spaying doesn't seem to affect their personality as much as the boys, but this has just been my experience with my rabbits. My boy buns were not excessively hormonal and I didn't have issues with spraying, humping, or aggression, so it might be a different experience if the rabbit is really hormonal. I also know that other people have had positive neuter experiences where it has helped the rabbits personality to not have those hormones causing issues. But there are also those very rare cases of it changing an affectionate rabbit into a grumpy one. You just have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision possible. I personally don't worry about the risks of testicular cancer for boy buns as it seems to not be as common an issue as uterine cancer is for girl buns.

Latest posts

Back